A cut above Princess

Zuiderdam Cruise Review to Europe - Northern Europe

29 Night Baltic Adventure & Viking Passage (Copenhagen To New York)
Sail Date: August 09, 2016
Ship: Zuiderdam

This was our first cruise on Holland America after two cruises on Princess.  All the jokes we heard about the "elderly crowd" on Holland America, compared to Princess, were just plain untrue.  There were plenty of seniors, but also lots of younger folks.  Overall, I would say that the Princess cruises had a higher overall age, not that it really matters.  But I would say that despite the Zuiderdam being an older ship, it was quite elegant and nicely maintained.  The service was impeccable and overall I felt that it had a certain degree of "class" that Princess lacked.  I would definitely cruise with Holland American again, in general, and on the Zuiderdam again, in specific, if the right opportunity and itinerary came along.  Compared to Princess, I would say that Holland America is a bit more expensive, but worth the small premium.  I was particularly impressed with the asian and pasta bar stations in the Lido buffet and the availability of multiple flavors of hand scooped ice cream at lunch and dinner.

Reasonable size cabin, good value for the price. Comparable to similar class on other cruise lines. Excellent location (aft facing) that I would choose again for the great views.

Aft cabins are well situated for easy access to dining options but a bit of a walk for entertainment and excursions.
Pinnacle Grill for lunch is a good option at a good price.
Adagio is a great entertainment option.
Unlimited laundry is a great deal and you can get a better price if you pre-buy.

Highlight of the trip, great views from aft facing balcony.