Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Third Mate

An experience of highs and lows

Sail Date: August 21, 2015

Overall, the cruise was a net positive experience primarily based on the sights and venues.  The naturalist lectures (Brent Nixon and wife) were highlights. The Murano restaurant was an outstanding experience and the spa/exercise area was excellent.  Went to several mini seminars that were very helpful on dealing with lower back pain and feet issues.  However,Very disappointed that the brochure highlight of the trip (Sawyer Glacier) was cancelled in order to avoid cancelling Juneau shore excursions and making related refunds.  There was a medical related delay but that didn't cause us to miss the Tracy Arm Fjord/Sawyer Glacier.  It simply required something to be skipped and the decision was made to skip the cruise brochure highlight.  Also the Internet service was very very poor. I paid $199 for "unlimited service" which was actually very limited.  I visited with the Internet Cafe staff on several occasions who on one occasion reviewed a report of my usage that clearly indicated it was severely limited.  All other internet users I spoke to had very poor and slow service.  The internet staff member also confirmed that there were known limitations in the ship's system.   Based on these factors, I think offering service that was so poor bordered on fraud. I requested that the charge be cancelled but the internet and guest relations staff refused. In the case of the Sawyer Glacier decision and the Internet issue both contacts simply referred me to the cruise contract which I thought showed some serious limitations on customer service.

Aft cabin had great views but almost no cover for rain which also presented some privacy issues.

Like the Aqua Spa. Ocean view cafe was like the free breakfast service at a Holiday Inn but multiplied by 100. A downer were constant sales pitches for drink packages on the first days. Also, rather than handed a walking map when going of ship we were handed jewelry promotions.