Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Food was dissapointing

Sail Date: May 15, 2015

Nice ship (Solstice) and stateroom.

Room service could not get the order correct and kept calling us by the wrong name.

Room steward was excellent.

This was my 5th cruise. Maybe my expectations were too high because the other cruises had great food. The main dining was really poor. One night the salmon was good the next night it was awful. They call the steak "new york sirloin", trying to fool you into thinking it was a new york cut but really a cheap sirloin. The prime rib was poor and their other steak was thin like a shoe sole and was a poorer quality than a greasy spoon. The ice cream was amazing - amazingly bad - cheap junk - maybe from China. We paid extra for Gelato thinking it would be good, but it was cheap poor quality also. The pizza on our 2007 Carnival cruise was excellent - like a top restaurant, but the pizza on this Celebrity cruise was just barely edible. The buffet was closed early - no midnight fun as on Caribbean cruises and most of the food was cheap poor quality - home town buffet like. My first cruise in 1995 was a celebrity and the food was fantastic - I guess they cheapened up after the 2008 crash and never came back. Night after night the main dining food was disappointing. At least the waiter was very good and pleasant.

2800 people on our ship pulling into port. Seems like a lot of people for an Alaska town. But then there were also 3 other ships in port at the same time! Wow - wall to wall people. In Skagway I was choking on the diesel exhaust from the train, buses, ships, etc. until we got far away from the port.

It was a nice cruise up the Tracy Arm Fjord for the scenery. It was the best part of the cruise.

Entertainment on the ship was excellent.

If I had it all to do over again, I would look at the schedule for the first cruise date and then fly up to Juneau the week before that first cruise. Then you will have the place to yourself and see Alaska without all the crowds of people and pollution.

1 Comment