Filter reviews by

121 Quantum of the Seas Reviews

5.0

great boat! by dizdee

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Eastern

After reading all the reviews my family and I were prepared for a bad vacation.  The check in was terrible it took 2 hours because computers kept crashing but after that was over the trip was really awesome!  The Boat was so beautiful and clean.  We had an inside cabin which was really big and comfortable.  I was traveling with 12 people and the restaurants lost our reservations but they took all of us right in.  The shows were great.  We loved the roller skating, ripcord, bumping cars, and activities.  There were some lines but they moved pretty quick. Yes there were some negatives like trying to find a seat in the windjammer and Yes there are a lot of charges like paying for a sauna  at the gym but I've been on 7 cruises and 5 Royal and this was by far the best.

Spectacular by cathyb0628

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean

The ship was amazing. Totally high tech.

beautiful ship by ilg404

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Eastern

Beautiful ship. wonderful stateroom accommodations.

1.0

Stay and Pay by ADalton

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Bahamas

Have cruised 20plus times. This was the worst cruise ever. We prepaid everything including gratuities. Prepaid Ultimate Beverage package as well. Surprise surprise, they wouldn't allow us to use our drink package in the room. Have to pay for drinks. On all other cruises, room service is included, but not here. Have to pay for the skeletal selection if you want anything other than rice crispies and burned coffee. Oh, there's also a room service delivery fee!! Food delivered without silverware, burned toast with no butter or jam. No one picking up EVER at room service. Could not EVER reach any one on the phone AT room service or guest services or the specialty restaurants. You were placed on hold for 20 minute intervals then automatically disconnected after 20 minutes, only to call back and be placed on hold. The room service food that they charged you for was horrible.We actually photographed an order of french fries from room service, they were green and the bottom of the bowl was covered in brown frying oil. The fries literally dripped oil.  The lines to get into the restaurants were 1-2 hours long. The specialty restaurants were so backed up and the waiters so stressed out, dinners were 3-4 hours long, just sitting, waiting to eat. This was the poorest quality food we have ever had on a cruise. Raw, undercooked seafood at Chic, unidentifiable meat at American Icon. It was at least an hour between courses. We were lucky if we had beverages. Our kids wouldn't even sit for dessert because the dinner was grossly dragged out. Jaime's Italian was the only food worth paying for. Missed the shows because of the long waits in the restaurants. Everything was about finding a way to charge the passenger more money. The food at the Windjammer lounge was consistently cold and soggy. They closed the attractions on the ship down while we were in ports so that our days at sea were spent in long, long lines waiting for the air flyer etc. We never did get to ride them. The mini bar person charged our account numerous times incorrectly, it was nearly impossible to track him down. The ship's "automatic" computer added $84.00 daily to our onboard account for "service" gratuities even though we had prepaid our gratuities. As soon as we got that cleared up at guest services, they started charging them again! We received our soda cups 24 hours after sailing. The soda cups we paid for are on a "timer" , so you can only have one soda every thirty-forty minutes, if you try to go sooner the machine does not work! There were no shampoos, conditioner or shower caps in the bathrooms, ever. The food at Wonderland was a terrible joke, all of the appetizers were literally served in a single teaspoon placed in front of you, most were just too disgusting to even eat (buffalo flavored egg yolk,  pureed olive in a teaspoon of olive oil)! To survive we had to eat mostly dried up pizza slices along with everyone else, and even the man serving the pizza was very nasty and acted like everyone was bothering him. This ship was designed for "technology" however the IQUEST didn't even work. We had to pay every day for wi-fi, and it was not cheap. We have Verizon and still had no phone service at all. There was no "staying connected" as they advertised. Leaving the ship was a horrendous mass of confusion as we were pushed like cattle after picking up our luggage toward the customs lines, with two older women from Royal Carribean harshly screaming at the passengers to go this way or that way, step here, step there... I finally asked one them, "Why are you yelling at everyone?"   Our group will be taking our business to another cruise line from this point forward. This ship was designed for one thing only:  profit, profit, profit.

A great cruise to be on! by hayward777

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Bahamas

My husband and I had stayed in an Ocean view room with a balcony. It was great!. Great food, entertainment, crew. Ship very clean. The entire trip was wonderful. We stayed on the ship for the most part. No problems. Did Atlantis tour and was surprised to find out that it was a tour of two of three acquariums,( fish, sharks etc.) not the resort as we expected. Cruise was a little pricey compared to most,  but so worth it, new cruise, smart cruise ship. All the restaurants were great! I just wish the cruise would have told us that they had a time to stop sales of pictures. We wanted to purchase our pictures but they stopped the sale. I would definitely highly recommend this cruise ship to others and would like to go again.

The Haywards

1 Comment
1.0

Royally Disappointed Diamond by crazyforcruises

Sail date: / Traveled as: Family (older children)
Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Bahamas

I just got off of the Quantum today and really felt the need to write a review for this ship. Just a bit of my cruising history first….I am Diamond Plus member sailing RCCL for the last 23 years with 29 cruises behind me. In addition, 15 cruises on various other lines. That being said, my family was chomping at the bit to go on this new innovative and technologically advanced ship!

First the positives, the ship was truly spectacular! The whole ship was very tastefully decorated with beautiful common areas and hallways. The lounges were perfect and not overdone as many often are. The new Royal Esplanade (comparable to the Promenade on other ships) was a bit narrow but the shops, some higher end than most ships, and eateries were well placed and appointed. Certain areas gave the feeling of being in a fine Las Vegas hotel.

The cabins were FANTASTIC! The best I have seen thus far on any ship on any cruise line. The cabin felt more like a small hotel room than a standard run of the mill cabin. The storage space was more than adequate providing my husband and I each with a closet, a very nice dresser to share with beautiful drawer pulls, a full sized interactive TV and a very spacious shower and bathroom. The furniture on the balcony was nice as well with a comfortable foot stool for each chair.

Now for the not so good…prior to boarding the ship, I had all of my restaurant reservations in place. This is an absolute must with the (NOT SO) Dynamic Dining!  The system in place is absolutely horrible! The first night we (a party of 8) had a reservation at American Icon for 8pm. When we arrived at the restaurant expecting to be seated close to the reservation time much to our surprise there was a tremendous line with complete chaos and disorganization. There was a podium far from where we stood on the line and no one ever came through the line to check us in. It took about 45 minutes to be seated and then 2 hours to eat our not so great meal. The waiters do not have assistant waiters making all meals much longer than necessary. This was a constant issue with all of the free restaurants for the entire cruise. A 45 minute wait, nobody to answer questions and frankly an attitude that no one really cared.  The reservations in the paid restaurants (Chop’s and Jamie Oliver’s) were honored on time and the service was exceptionally good. Dinnertime was dreaded and made our always stress-free cruise vacation into a VERY stressful experience. Many people we encountered who were hoping to get reservations on board by themselves or the Diamond Plus Concierge were disappointed as they were no reservations available. These people were eating dinner in the Windjammer most nights.

Lunch was a huge problem as well…because of the lack of a dining room, lines for lunch were long and inconvenient. All lunch eateries are a first come first serve basis. So, getting into Izumi’s or Jamie’s was impossible unless you were willing to line up an hour before the restaurant opened. One day we did decide to line up at 12:30 (Izumi’s closes at 1:30 and we were turned away as they could not accommodate us.) American Icon was the only other place to have a sit down meal and because it is one-eighth the size of a conventional dining room there were long waits there too. This ship cut out the much loved Brasserie 30 (salads in 30 minutes) and the Park Café (replaced with Two70, with fewer choices.) My children (22, 19 and 13) all missed the conventional dining room with family favorites such as lobster night, Grand Marnier soufflé and Baked Alaska.

I must also quickly mention that some of the new activities on board were a lot of fun like the Ifly and the Northstar but in general we did feel that the activities were fewer than normal with nothing special in the evening like a pool party. The pool was missing the afternoon calypso band and all and all this cruise did not have the feel that we have come to love. The ship felt very much understaffed even the bathrooms always had wet sinks, not enough soap and the hand sanitizer stands were found empty in many locations. The photo kiosks were a nice idea in theory but created a bunch of new problems. On the last day, we ordered 6 photos and only received 4 with not a record of the last 2.

I am hoping that RCCL can find a solution to the many problems encountered on this ship. And we are hoping that they do not institute these changes on the older and new to be built ships. My family is generally so sad at the end of a cruise vacation always wanting more time…but this sailing we could not wait to get off of the ship!

Our Recent RC Cruise from Hell by mcarroll19

Our Recent RC Cruise from Hell

the travel agency was great…however, they have no clue as to how awful this new ship REALLY is……. besides all the hype about Quantum of the Seas…..…very very sad

I took other cruises with RC…I'm done…the staff on ship (whenever you could find them) have no power to do or correct anything, or to make anything right..…just awful! All they say is, " it’s a corporate matter"

well, for example there was never a place to sit for a meal, and when you found a place, after waiting for over 45 minutes to eat cold food, as NOTHING was ever hot food, there were dirty dishes remaining in the lounge areas, no matter where you went for over 3 hours every day…..CLEANING IS NOT A CORPORATE MATTER!

there is NOT enough staff to deal with the 1000's of people sardined into that can of a ship they put us in

If RC does not contact me, this is going to become VERY DETAILED from many people……. and going viral

they better get this can of a ship to China fast, it’s a disgrace to us and financially to RC

RC in the past WAS GREAT, and I recommended MANY to cruise with RC over the years…never again!!!!!!!!

This trip was total "bait and switch" as too many problems are on this ship…even had drinks in the dining room spilt all over my travel companion……..I want my money back

Michael K. Carroll

I am usually balanced in my reviews, but this was the WORST cruise I ever took!!! If I could get my money back...I would! The flagship of the fleet??? Its garbage. I am done with RC, filthy ship, no service, way too little staff, cold food, constantly running out of cups, ice, tea, soda. Everything handled by computer and systems were "constantly down", staff were confused, the entire experience is awful. Always huge waiting lines FOR HOURS. Filthy public areas. Not a single person I spoke to was happy, never cruising RC again. An awful Christmas trip, I had 180 people go on this trip from all over the USA, I'm embarrassed!

*** Edited 1/9/15 by Community Manager to Comply with our Community Guidelines ***

Our recent RC cruise from hell.... by bitian123

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Bahamas

THE DYNAMIC DINING JUST DOES NOT WORK WITH THIS MANY PEOPLE ABOARD A SHIP. I LIKED THE PRIOR PROCESS 'WHERE RESERVATIONS WERE MADE MONTHS BEFORE SAILING' AT TWO SEATING'S , IN THE DINING ROOM FOR EITHER BREAKFAST, LUNCH, OR DINNER, WHERE YOU HAD TO DRESS UP AT LEAST BUSINESS CASUAL. THE WINDJAMMER IS FOR THE TEE-SHIRTS AND THE FLIP-FLOP DRESSED PEOPLE. WE HAD TO MAKE RESERVATIONS TO GET INTO ALL THE COMPLIMENTARY RESTAURANTS, AND STILL WAITED IN LINE 1 TO 2 HOURS TO GET IN. THE ENTERTAINMENT HAD TO HAVE RESERVATIONS, WHICH WERE 'ALWAYS BOOKED UP' AND DUE TO THE LONG WAITS TO GET INTO THE RESTAURANTS, WHEN WE COULD SEE A SHOW, WE NEVER WERE ABLE TO FINISH DINNER IN TIME TO SEE THE SHOWS ON TIME. THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE ON THE SHIP WITH FAR TOO FEW STAFF TO SERVICE THE GUESTS. WAITING IN LINES WAS THE WORST FOR HOURS. THIS IS MY FIRST VACATION I HAD IN 20 YEARS. RC HAS TO COME UP WITH A BETTER PLAN FOR THE DINING . I DON'T THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE TO PAY AT THE OTHER RESTAURANTS WHICH OUTNUMBERED THE COMPLIMENTARY DINING AREAS. YOU PAY ENOUGH FOR GOING ON THE CRUISE....RC WILL NOT GET MY BUSINESS AGAIN. THIS WAS A SHAM AND THEY TOOK MY MONEY WITHOUT DELIVERING TO ME FOR WHAT I PAID FOR. I ONLY GOT TO SEE TWO SHOWS. THAT IS NOT FAR. I AM PISS. I SHOULD GET MY MONEY BACK..............

Bigger Isn't Always Better by dilorenzoc

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Bahamas

Once aboard the Quantum I began comparing it to the Oasis with its Central Park theme its beautiful Carousel and a bar that took you from one floor to another while you sipped your drink. I looked for the spacious and beautiful promenade that made you feel like you were entering a five star hotel. I looked for the greeters like the ones on the Oasis who welcomed you on board and the staff who smiled and made your transition from life on land to life on sea as smooth as possible.  After all, I was sailing on the same line that owned and managed the Oasis and the Allure of the seas and this ship was bigger so it had to be better - right? Wrong!!! None of what I was looking for was there.

When we got on board my wife and I found ourselves standing above The Royal Esplanade the Quantum's version of the Oasis promenade. It was beautiful but something was wrong and I couldn't quite figure out what it was. The Esplanade was spacious and bright but then it hit me. This Promenade looked like our shopping mall back home complete with kiosks running down the middle. "Oh my God," I said to my wife. "We are vacationing in a mall. I hate shopping malls." My initial reaction turned out to be correct as day after day hawkers tried to entice passengers to sample and view their wares and crowds of shoppers blocked passage as they pushed and shoved to secure bargains. Each time we were not docked the Esplanade turned into Black Friday at Targets, Feline's basement in Boston and Canal Street in New York City. This scene sucked the class from the ship.

My first order of business when I got on board was to change a dinner reservation. We discovered months before sailing the Quantum would not have a main dining room and if you wanted anything other than buffet food while on board you had to make a dinner reservation for one of the four complimentary restaurants or one of the "for fee" specialty restaurants, on-line, prior to boarding; a task that would tax the computer skills of many people I know. The days were gone when the only dining decision you had to make was whether you wanted the first or second seating for dinner. I had completed all reservations weeks before boarding  but wanted to cancel one restaurant and book another.

When I tried to change the reservation by telephone a few days before sailing I was informed that it had to done by Guest Services aboard ship. With that in mind  after my wife and I boarded we went straight to Guest Services; a room filled with electronic tablets and agents showing passengers how to "do it themselves" using the electronic tablets provided. Is this what is meant by a Smart Ship, I thought ? When I finally got to speak to an agent I was told he couldn't help us. He told us to go to an agent at one of the four free restaurants to make the change. When we found the restaurant we were greeted by a long line of disgruntled passengers  waiting for a frustrated reservation specialist struggling to complete a single dinner reservation using a "Smart Ship" reservation system that was obviously not cooperating. As a retired Information Technology Management Consultant for twenty years I concluded during the cruise that the software which defines this ship as a Smart Ship was as flawed as the ObamaCare rollout - but I digress. A 30 minute wait on line resulted in my being told that I was on the wrong line. The frustrated staff member who appeared on the verge of tears told me I had to make the change at the specialty restaurant of my choice. I navigated my way through this huge vessel and finally found the specialty restaurant. Total time to change a dinner reservation on board was one hour.

After the first day and a number of other incidents it became obvious that we were taking part in the testing of a new Royal Caribbean business model; one that contained a whole new set of standards for cruising. My guess is that this new model calls for replacing staff with technology, utilizing the ships prime real estate for profit, slowly moving customers from free dining to paid dining and cutting costs by cutting amenities for guests. This begs the question is Royal Caribbean trying to become the Spirit Airlines of the cruising industry?

The most significant change RC made was to not include a main dining room on the Quantum. This change known as Dynamic Dining now requires passengers to be responsible for securing their own dinner reservations. Reservations are also required for shows. For a seven night cruise a passenger is required to make as many as 14 different reservations on- line prior to boarding. This would tax the computer skills of most people I know but if it isn't done passengers may very well find themselves waiting on a very long line outside a restaurant for dinner at 9:00 pm. They will also be on standby  for all shows and may not get in. One passenger told me they should rename the ship Reservations of the Sea. Dynamic Dining is most definitely not working.

It became a bit depressing to hear passengers and crew complain about the cruise. One night as my family and I waited on a long line forty minutes past our reservation time at The Grande Restaurant we could hear those around us say, "never again on this ship", "this dining system is broken," " this ship is too much work and too stressful." At times crew members said to me "there is not enough staff on board and we are exhausted " and "none of us want to be on this ship."  I can honestly say I had not heard one positive comment during the entire cruise.

There were other incidents that I could recall to demonstrate the negative effects RCs new model has on travelers but I will stop and move on to the positives. There are a lot of positives.

There is no question the ship is beautiful. The rooms are large by cruising standards, very clean and well serviced. The check-in process at the dock in Bayonne is the best I've ever experienced. The food is good and plentiful and an improvement over other RC ships. There is more than enough space and lounges for everyone to sit around the pools. The staff works hard and does the best they can with what they have.

Without a doubt the most memorable part of the cruise was what the ship did for its passengers on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. They pulled out all the stops to make it a wonderful holiday. They provided free champagne, cookies and eggnog, a Santa Claus and elves, Christmas gifts for everyone between the ages of one and seventeen, Christmas Carols sung by the staff in the Esplanade, a fun parade with fabulous costumes and the most beautiful Midnight Mass my wife and I ever attended. Thank you for that.

In summary, the Quantum of the Seas is geared toward a certain demographic of which I am not a member. Many of the other passengers I spoke to feel they don't belong either. It's geared toward those who don't mind losing the main dining room, who don't care about the pampering we older cruisers are used to and who go on a cruise to gamble and shop. That doesn't define us.

Will I ever sail the Quantum again? Probably not. I understand the Oasis may also move to Dynamic Dining. If so, I will cross that ship off my list as well.

Well decorated ship, but poor service -DON'T WASTE YOU MONEY by RGD

Sail date: / Traveled as: Family (young children)
Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Bahamas

Let me start from one good thing, the interior of the ship was amazing and i felt that all money was spent on decorations. This was my first experience on Royal Caribbean ships and it failed! Apparently, owners decided to innovate new diner experience , so they can save some money for THEM, not for customers! On board was 4 complimentary and 5 restaurants for $. The menu in each restaurant was every day the same. When we explorer all 4 complimentary places, we've decided to go others for $$$, some of them were booked out till end of the cruise ;-( ( I wish i would know that before). All dining restaurants on the cruise were very dark, sometimes you couldn't even read menu and very cold. The managers couldn't control temperature and they had to call to maintenance room and it was adjusted. If you would go to for a dinner, you have to calculated at least 2 hrs for it, servant will take your order and disappeared "forever" and then when you looking for him, he is mia ;-). I noticed that nobody leave tips for a water and of course they're not happy. We've had 2 great waiters out of 8 dinner nights at 2 restaurant Grande(Yosef) and Chic (Vadjarmi). The most awful experience twice i got at Silk, first time with family for dinner. Was freezing cold in the restaurant, i was trying to talk to waiter to turn AC down, she said ok, but nothing changed.  i was waiting for her comeback and she was with other staff was trying to ignore me, then i got up myself and trying to locate someone to talk to , found one guy (later one appeared to be manager) he said that he'll call to maintenance, but nothing changed. Then I finally saw our waiter and asked her to call manager, the same guy was passing many times and ignored our message. then when i become angry and frustrated he finally showed up and said that nothing he can do anyway. so, we've been sitting with family of 8 kids and senior citizens freezing for 2 hrs?!? Finally, we warn our waiter few times that we're running late for show, but she didn't do anything.  We made our orders for tea and dessert and had to get up and leave before received it... oh, another thing, my husband order some drinks, they brought a wrong ones 45 mins later ?!? he request to change to his original order and never got it back ;-(.  When we went to Chops Grill for $, we were greeted by hostess with "rolling eyes" in front of my kids and parents saying YOU ARE NOT ON THE LIST FOR RESERVATIONS (somehow ours got disappeared, bad luck) and she was trying to SCHOOL US BY SAYING YOU'RE LATE BY SO MANY MINS!!! SERIOUSLY LADY FOR MY MONEY ON MY VACATION?!? I called her manager and gotta say manager was very professional, she took care the situation and made hostess apologize to us and we had to wait another 45 mins for our table. Kids were tired , didn't want to eat anything and fell a sleep right at the restaurant ;-(. Another thing which i've used to at the cruises it is FORMAL Night with captain - guess what NO MORE... no feelings like you on vacation and want to dress up... one restaurant have request formal outfit, but when other people next to you in the hall walking in short and flip flops, you feel like you overdress ;-)  Now about other amenities on the ship,  Pool , the water was called and outside of covered pool was cold as well. When we went to solarium pool, the room temp was warmer and water as well, but my kids got kicked out because of rules no kids there, even no one was in the water :-( At the bars, alcohol was served with ice more than alcohol ;-( Kids were promised to have a ride a bumper cars and roller skating... bumper cars were not released ones (or may be i missed it ), i even brought my kids to kids club where was on the schedule to ride on the cars , but they all were playing inside of the room and never went there. as for the roller skate, it was late at night after 5pm when usually we had our long/wasted dinner... during day if you stay with kids on board, nothing to do besides cold pool.

I think its enough for my lousy cruise.  I understand this is new ship with lots of problems, but at least warn people and don't charge that much money for it!!!

Well decorated ship, but poor service -DON'T WASTE YOU MONEY by RGD

Sail date: / Traveled as: Family (young children)
Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Bahamas

Poor food and lack of entertainment by greekkouk

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Bahamas

We just got back from an 8 night cruise on the quantum of the seas.  I have been on many cruise with 5 different cruise lines. This was one of the poorest ones I have been on.  The quality of food on the free restaurants was awful.  The restaurants we had to pay for were very good.  I wonder if they do that on purpose?  We were on an 8 night cruise, they had shows for only 5 of those nights.  All the cruises I have ever been on had shows every night of the cruise.  We were at sea for 4 full days and 2 half days and there was no musice anywhere on board during the day or things going on during the day around the ship.  It will be a long time before I go on royal carribean again.

Re: Restaurant's service- delayed, not because of the waiters/waitresses, but due to understaffing. by giliwalice

Sail date: / Traveled as: Singles/Friends
Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Bahamas

I would have rated our recent Quantum experience a five star, EXCEPT for the UNDERSTAFFING of the restaurants. The waiters/waitresses were excellent but they can only do that much. In some restaurants, we have one waiter for 2-3 tables. In other ships, there is the head waiter, waiter, assistant waiter. The variety of the menus is very limited. Otherwise, everything was wonderful. The shows- Star Water and Sonic Odyssey were out of this world--just magnificent.

I did not see a lot of "happy employees' faces". Maybe, they are overworked and could not put a smile on their faces anymore. Just remember, happy employees means good business.

Great time by DrDebraA

Sail date: / Traveled as: Family (older children)
Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Bahamas

The cruise was good.  The ship is simply beautiful with lots of things to do.  The solarium area was beautiful and could accommodate more people.  Customer service in some areas could have been better.  The staff was not as friendly as I am accustomed to on previous Royal cruises.  Some of the kinks were not all worked out.  Even with all the online check in, the process was confusing at the port. After we left the check in, we did not find our key waiting for us outside our room, which was the procedure and we had to go to guest services.  The overall experience was good.

4.0

Great cruise - reservation system needs improvement by SometimeCruiser

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Bahamas

Overall, we were very pleased with the cruise. The ship is beautiful and well-decorated, there are many on-board activities, the service staff was uniformly friendly, and the entertainment was very good.

We had a balcony stateroom, which was quite roomy for a ship. We were on Deck 7, which was fine, but avoid Deck 6 since many of the views are blocked by the emergency boats. The bed was very comfortable. The flat-screen TV was excellent quality; it showed primarily ship-produced programs but there were some cable stations as well (CNN, ESPN, TBS, etc).

The food at the complimentary restaurants was generally very good and the service was great. Perhaps we were fortunate, as we had none of the negative experiences cited by others. The menus did not change during the cruise within each restaurant, but they differed between them, so as long as you spend only 2 nights at each one the limited menus are not a problem. On two nights we ate at specialty -- i.e., extra fee -- restaurants (see below on why): Devinely Decadence and Jamie's Italian restaurant. Although the food and service were very good there as well, we did not feel they were worth the extra money. The posted menu for Jamie's Italian restaurant featured several items that were not on the actual restaurant's menu.

The daytime on-board entertainment included several trivia contests and lectures on art, jewelry, and movies; and the staff for these were enthusiastic and fun. Evening entertainment shows consisted of the play Mama Mia, two entertainers (a comedian and a singer), a "virtual" concert, and two "modern" type of shows, StarWater and Sonic Odyssey, both of which featured singing and dance. We enjoyed all these shows and thought they were very well-done. Other evening entertainment included small musical groups in various bars and larger bands in the "Music Hall", which had a dance floor. The bands were very good. DJ music was also provided for late-night entertainment. Finally, there were some enjoyable karaoke shows.

We enjoyed the bumper cars, but they were available for only a limited amount of time since the same venue is used for volleyball, basketball, and skating. We went up on North Star, and it was a nice experience. Unfortunately, space is limited and you need reservations for it, which you obtain the day before, and are quickly filled up. Since the next-day activities are not posted until the evening, obtaining a convenient time can be difficult.

They have a well-equipped fitness center, although the lighting for the treadmills could be better (for reading) and the TV screens, which feature some simulated routes, were not working properly on several of the machines.

Now for the major negative: the reservation system for some shows and dining. We were not made aware of this system, and only came across it about 2 weeks before the cruise. One of the ship’s featured shows is Starwater, but none of the scheduled performances were available. I called the listed telephone number for assistance in planning, and they indicated that we might be able to make reservations on the cruise’s day of departure, but no guarantee that we will get what we want. They also said we can arrive early for one of the shows, wait on line, and that we might be able to get in. Obviously, that was not how we intended to spend our time on the cruise. We asked what percentage of the seats is held for people without reservations but they did not know. (We were ultimately able to obtain reservations on the first day of the cruise.)

As far as making reservations for dinner, on 2 nights none of the complimentary restaurants had openings, and so we were forced to reserve a spot at specialty restaurants, which charge fees. Once again, the customer service for planning assistance could not resolve the situation. As with the entertainment, they said we might be able to make reservations on the ship’s departure date or wait on line for restaurants where we had no reservations. We pointed out that one of the specialty restaurants we reserved was on the first night and so we would be charged a minimum $10 fee since the cancellation would be within 24 hours. Despite the outrageous nature of none of the complimentary restaurants having any openings currently available, we were told that this minimum $10 fee would not be waived. We asked to speak to a manager, but were told the manager would have the same response. Nobody in Customer Service told us about the Windjammer Cafe, which is a large buffet restaurant with many types of food and does not require reservations. While we would not have wanted to eat dinner there on multiple nights, for just 1 or 2 nights it would have been just fine. Our conclusion is that either their Customer Service staff is very poorly informed or they want passengers to reserve spaces at the specialty, fee-required, restaurants (for which there were plenty of openings).

3.0

we were not aware we were the guinea pigs trying out this new ship! by csavage

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Bahamas

Amazing ship. Our first cruise and we loved it. We would cruise again but maybe not on this ship and definitely not on such a new ship.It costs far too much to be a guinea pig and next time we cruise it will be on a fully operational ship.

Shows & entertainment - super overall plus lots of very good random entertainment in music hall. The ship seemed to offer great entertainment for all age groups from bumper cars to art!

Food - lots of really high quality food and great variety available in the market place all day long.

Thirst quencher - plent of water and non fizz drinks readily available.

Balcony room - spacious size, very clean and very well kept thanks to a beatiful lady called Maria from the Philipines.

Negatives - technology not working.

Very difficult to figure out how to book shows and meals and activities! We spent the 1st two days trying to figure it out! We were told to dowload the app but not told it does not yet work on android 35 dollars of internet access another guest informs us. The tv says you can change your calender on it but again this does not work. The tablets around the ship will let you book restaurants for the next 3 nights and not any longer away than that but if you wait to book through the app you will find the restaurants are fully reserved! One must vusit every restaurant at the start of the cruise and make all your bookings if you wish to get a reservation.

Activities and shows - some are booked at their location on the ship, some through the tablets on board, some through agents located st various times outside Jamie Olivers Restaurant on Deck 4. Are we supposed to get divine inspiration to figure all this out???? Lucky we are young and persisted for 2 days in locating all these mystery locations but we would not reccomend thus cruise for the older generatiin no more than ourselves! Way too difficult to figure out. Onboard another passenger found out most things could be booked in advance online - but this couple seemed to be the only passengers who knew this!

Very hard to locate customer service on the ship for help. No great indication is made of where to find them.

Staff seemed to be under pressure and rumoured to esrn buttons. While we enjoyed our cruise 15% service charge was added on to everything and an additional tip requested. We paid good money to be in this cruise but onbiard seemed to be expected to also pay staff wages!!!!

However, when we navigated all the blips and found our way we did have great fun but RC you need to up your game and give people what they are paying for.

A bit of a let Down by Tm0

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Bahamas

To say we were excited for the Quantum of the Seas was an understatement. As Loyal Royal Caribbean Diamond Members, we are very used to the WOW of Royal. I went on this cruise with no expectation of getting off the boat as the Bahamas is not the best port no matter where you are. We looked forward to enjoying the boat.

Overall the ship felt very closed in and windy. We've sailed on Voyager class ships so it had nothing to do with the size of the ship rather the over all floor plan. But honestly, I could live with that since we enjoyed the north star, indoor sky diving, and lots of Trivia.  The worst part of the cruise which was truly unsatisfying was the Dynamic dining. You basically could not eat at a complimentary table served restaurant without a reservation and even if you did have a reservation there was always a wait of 10-20 minutes. After waiting on line and finally being seated the service was slow and the food quality wasn't that great. I ate at the Windjammer 3 or 4 days of my cruise this time around because of that. I felt that Royal was forcing me to eat at the restaurants that had a fee because the Italian restaurant Jamie Olivers for $15 a head for lunch was amazing. It was great service, great food, and a pleasure.

I truly hope that Dynamic dining does not catch on to the other ships because I may need to change cruise lines if thats the case.

2.0

Big on promises, small on delivery by Albouch

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Southern

First of all, My cruise history includes 35 cruises, 23 of them with Royal Caribbean. In all fairness, the ship is beautiful but in my opinion there is a lot of wasted space. This ship is not ready to sail.

My impression of this ship is that it was designed to maximize RCI's bottom line rather than give passengers more. There are 4 complimentary restaurants and at least seven you must pay for. The staterooms are smaller so they could fit more passengers. They no longer have assistant waiters in the restaurants.

RCI payed so much attention to the technology that they totally overlooked the passengers.

DINING

Dining was a frustrating experience. You must have reservations and at times expect to wait an additional 1/2 hour. We were given a light up pager like you would get in a highway chain restaurant. In virtually every restaurant we ate in, one or several menu items were missing. This started on the first night of the cruise! Food was OK but I wouldn't rave about a single meal. One person waited on you and seemed to struggle trying to place your order on a tablet. The service was slow and we missed several shows because of it. Our water glasses were seldom refilled and we missed the interaction you got when you had the same waiter every night. The menu's are small and stay the same. Jamies and Izumi were my two favorites. We spent weeks prior to this cruise linking 8 people to the same dining schedule only to be told upon boarding that there were no reservations listed. Customer Service was pretty much useless and seemed overwhelmed. A phrase we heard frequently was " There's nothing we can do". The Windjammer constantly had tables that were not cleared off. To order an omelet we were given a pager. If I had known it would take 20 minutes for my omelet I wouldn't have ordered it.

ENTERTAINMENT

Mamma Mia was outstanding and rivaled the Broadway version. I did not understand the other shows. One show in the 270 seemed like an attempt to mimic Cirque Du Soleil with a floating Cellist and singer who sang the same song for 15 or 20 minutes. She was elevated and the other performers spent 15 minutes waving her gown??? The show had to be cancelled 2 nights due to excessive ship rocking. At night the 270 seemed almost empty when they played what I'll call elevator music.

The robot bar was boring after 3 minutes and that area was always empty since performances were limited and robots were malfunctioning.

The Bumper cars, rip cord and wave rider were great but you had to stand in line & make reservations. The North Star was OK but you had to stand in lengthy lines twice to ride it. Once to get a reservation & once to ride it. (If it was still operational).

The ship was missing much of the daily activities the RCI used to supply. The venues were often too small considering the number of passengers on the ship. (We often could find no seats for the activities.)

The Diamond lounge was way too small and we were told to get drinks at other bars. (Most bars we visited didn't take our order for at least 1/2 hour because they were understaffed).

The emphasis in the design of this ship was misguided and focused on technology rather than practicality. (You don't need to be a brain surgeon to realize that the children's pool shouldn't be next to the smoking section.

This ship would be ok for first time cruisers or younger people but for those of us who like content in our cruise and traditional dining the ship is a Quantum disappointment. I have read several  5 star reviews and have to assume they were given by stockholders or persons given a free trip. I have never written a negative review about a single cruise I've taken, but this was my worst cruise. You now have to WORK on vacation and stress out when technology goes awry.

first cruise by stanantey

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean

food was fantastic; staff and workers were very responsive and professional. we were very impressed. look forward to another one on the same class.

2.0

worse cruise ever by corvettefred

Ship: Quantum of the Seas / Destination: Caribbean - Southern

We have cruised on most of RCI ships and have no problem cruising on any one of them again except Quantum or the Seas. Will never cruise that ship again. Poorly laid out. Stayed in a junior suite on deck ten which was noisy from all the popping and cracking and banging when ever the water was a little choppy. We did back to back with an eleven day and an eight day and the thermostat didn't work right for the entire cruise. Complained several times to guest services with no results. They did come and look at it, once ringing our door bell a 2:30 AM to check it, but it was never fixed. Usually when RCI builds a new ship they spend millions of dollars on artwork. ON Quantum they spent tens on dollars. Asked a couple of officers a question and was told they would call us with an answer, but never heard from them again. As far as ripcord, it was much to much prep time for only one minute in the chamber. Bumper cars is only a two and a half minute ride. North Star didn't work most of the time on the first cruise. Entertainment was excellent, but seating to get a good view of the entertainment was the worse of any ship we have been on. Food in Windjammer was not up the their normal standards.

HATE DYNAMIC DINING. Too few items on menu and same menu repeated every week. Have to make reservations for everything. Ugly cabin hallways with Wal Mart wall hangings. Ripcord is a one minute flight. Bumper Cars is a two and a half minute ride. North Star might be about five minutes if it is even working. Much of the food in Windjammer was luke warm at best or cold and dry. Took way too long to get tables cleared. Guest Services was willing to try to help with issues but no one ever smiled. One bright spot was our stateroom attendant was excellent. We think RC is making a huge mistake building four more ships all designed with Dynamic dining before they know how customers feel about it on the only ship they have that currently has it. The feedback we got from other passengers was they hate it.

1 Comment