Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Panama Canal, Central America

Norwegian Jewel Panama Canal Cruise

Sail Date: February 14, 2016

I gave this just a 3-star rating because the ship shows a lot of wear, and I was not impressed with any of the shore excursions.  However, if your primary interest is to transit the entire canal, enjoy warm humid weather and perhaps be with family or friends then it is worth it.  For me, the PC is truly a wonderful example of human ingenuity.  I thoroughly enjoyed the transit and especially the documentary film onboard on television.  It gave me a real appreciation of what was accomplished over 100 years ago, without a computer!  (and many other inventions of today)

too small for 2 weeks, but suites not available
San Pedro (Los Angeles), California
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Acapulco, Mexico
Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala
Did not do excursion due to length of bus trip into nearest village. Port not developed very much.
Puerto Corinto, Nicaragua Same comment about Puerto Quetzal applies here.
Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Extremely disappointed in the tropical rainforest excursion. I am not certain we were in the correct area, was it a privately owned park? DID NOT SEE ONE ANIMAL in the wild. Why a zip line??
Panama Canal Transit Be certain to watch the documentary on TV regarding the building of the canal.
Cartagena, Colombia
Don't do party bus excursion. They want you to shop where THEY stop. We were fortunate that it was a cloudy day. Even at that, it was very hot and humid this time of the year.
Miami, Florida Take early walk off disembarkation, if you are independent on arrival.

I was impressed with the apparent strong leadership of the captain. He drills the crew frequently, and for quite long periods of time in ports. It made me feel quite secure knowing he was onboard.