Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Third Mate

Good way to begin a Cruising Career!

Sail Date: June 05, 2015

Traveled As: Family w/young children

There were 6 of us cruising together, ranging from 8 to 60 and we all had a blast!  The Kid Zone was great for the 8 year old, Fuel was perfect for my teen.  My husband and I are not "clubbers", so we don't like dancing, strobe lights or lounge music, so this cruise was perfect for us (we're mid-30's).  The option was there, but could be avoided as needed.  My parents loved the scenery and abundance of coffee everywhere :-).

The food was decent, but after a week, honestly, we were all tired of the offerings, which were basically the same at the buffet every day.  For an Alaskan cruise, I would have wanted seafood of any kind.  There was none, except for a baked fish dish at dinner.  The bartenders were phenomenal. Their service, their drink preparation, their pleasant attitudes really helped to enhance the cruise experience for those of us who like to have a few cocktails.

One downfall was the location of the support bars on the windows in the enclosed areas of the ship.  Regardless of what chair you sat in, that bar was ALWAYS right at eye level, so you had to hunch over or sit straight up to see outside.   For our next cruise, I will pay the extra money for a balcony room, so we can sit and look at our leisure without having to stand or kill our backs trying to look around that dumb bar.

We didn't do any excursions, but I will say Tracy Arm Fjord is GORGEOUS!  One of the most breathtaking places I've ever been.  Overall, I would highly recommend this cruise if you are not a party person and like a quiet, more laid back experience.  From what we've been told, if you want to party the night away, go to the Caribbean on Carnival and party away!

Cruise Photos

The Jewel is due for an upgrade, which is scheduled next year. I'm curious to see how it turns out! Make the new chairs taller!!!
We got tired of the same options at each meal, each day at the Windjammer. It was tasty, just needs more variety.
Victor, the Bar manager and Rohan were FABULOUS!!!
There wasn't really anything that piqued my interest, so I didn't do anything.
My 8yo LOVED Kid Zone and I barely saw my 15yo thanks to the friends she made at Fuel!
It was Alaska. Most of the outdoor activities were closed or too cold to do. Inside there wasn't a whole lot else to do.
Except for Juneau, the destinations were AWESOME!
We fit 4 of us relatively comfortably, although a little crowded due to all of our luggage. Our closet door was broken and our sink barely drained unless you took the plug out. It was mostly clean, a few days we didn't get a full reload of towels and with 4 of us, two girls, we needed them all!!
Seattle, Washington
Pike Market is awesome if you're a bit of a foodie
Cruise Inside Passage, Alaska
Sit back and enjoy!!!
Juneau, Alaska
We didn't do any excursions here because it was rainy and wet. We also ported on Sunday and the museums and Capitol were closed.. It is definitely a working town, not a scenic place, from what we saw.
Skagway, Alaska
Rent a car and drive up to Carcross! You can stop where you want and for however long you want. With a bigger party (we had 6) it was cheaper than the train and basically follows the same route.
Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska
Don't miss a second of this! Get up early and stay until you're out! Sawyer Glacier is breathtaking!!!
Victoria, British Columbia
Touristy, quaint and pretty.

The Poolside Bar has the best staff. Victor and Rohan were amazing and they make a mean "Sex on the Ship". If you like red beers, ask for a Red Eye so they know what you're talking about. Also, the 5th floor allows you to walk outside the ship 360 degrees - it's awesome!!!

1 Comment