Zuiderdam Cruise Review to Caribbean

Contributor Level: Third Mate

Very Relaxing

Sail Date: March 07, 2016

The cruise provided an excellent get away for us and at the time we purchased the tickets excellent value.  However we will probably use other cruise lines in future; even though we are in our late sixties the apparent absence of passengers below the age of 50 dampened the overall atmosphere.  My belief is that a better mix of passengers would provide a livelier / fun cruise.

It is not that I want to be dancing to the latest hit songs all through the cruise but I do think that restricting the music to the fifties and sixties is boring.  Overall I found that the entertainment in the lounges was better than on the main stage, although the presentations by the cruise director on the canal and behind the scenes were very good.  I really enjoyed the enjoyed piano violin duo in the evenings.  Also the music in the BB king lounge was great although it was also stuck in the 60’s pop style and I had expected that at least some of it would have reflected the blues BB King was known for.

Overall the dining was good although it did come as a shock initially not to have a full blown buffet where I could pick and choose particular piece of food rather than having someone behind the counter make the selection and portion control.  Yes I know I could ask for more and often did but at a buffet I want to be in total control.  The upside is I probably didn’t put on as much weight.

I had noted in previews reviews of the ship that there were numerous maintenance issues, allot of rust, slow drains and smells in the bathroom, etc., so these did not come as a surprise and I did see crew and what appeared to be contractors working to improve the ships condition.  Also we were told that she would be going in for refurbishment in 2017.

We have enjoyed staggered boarding with other lines and so long waits in line now seem worst than before.
Children's Programs NA
I am in my late sixties and still thought my fellow passengers were very old and the entertainment reflected this. Yes I enjoy 50's and 60's music but not every night and in lounge
Like other frequent travelers I feel that the quality/portions of the food on all cruise lines has dropped over the years. Accepting that that the food on this cruise was good although I do miss having a full buffet rather than the cafeteria style they use.