Norwegian Sun Cruise Review to Alaska - Gulf of Alaska

Staff Captain

Enjoyable time on the Sun

Sail Date: July 27, 2015

We got off to a rocky start on this cruise, but that was due to NCL land based operations and my trusting nature. But I will not bore you with those details. The cruise was great.

We arrived in Seward to join the ship around 12:30. From the time our shuttle dropped us off till we were onboard was less than thirty minutes. Luggage was not far behind.

By NCL's standards the Sun is an older ship. However, she is in good shape. When we arrived at our cabin 4103, I must say it was tiny. Smallest cabin we have ever had. Chance you take when booking guarantee cabins, but it was comfortable, clean and well maintained.

The staff were friendly and kind. All were willing to help and greeted you with a smile. I was pleasantly surprised that the service on the ship was great. After reading so many negative reviews lately.

The food in the main dining room was very good and the service was attentive. We enjoyed the Maderno and Le Bistro on this trip. Both were excellent in service and food.

The buffet food was good, however it is not set up very well always seemed crowded on the inside of the ship. The buffet on the back deck was not as crowded and I really enjoyed the outside seating. The only draw back is the selections are as plentiful as they are inside.

We enjoyed the guest entertainers. I con not comment on the production shows we did not attend.

The Cruise Director Richard Matic was enjoyable and his staff always had something going.

We enjoyed our time on the Sun.

Food is subjective but I found it to be very good.
Great crew, too many to single out
Buffet could have been designed for a little better flow.
Disembarkation in Vancouver was a breeze.
Seward (Anchorage), Alaska
It is three to four hours to Seward from Anchorage depending on traffic and road work. Not much to see in Seward.
Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), Alaska
In all honesty it is a nice little port, however you can see it all in a couple of hours.
Cruise Sawyer Glacier
Vancouver (Canada Place), British Columbia
Cruise Inside Passage, Alaska
Ketchikan, Alaska
When you get to creek street follow the river. You will be rewarded which some beautiful views up the road.
Juneau, Alaska
Mendenhall glacier is worth the trip. It is a great spot to take a whale watch trip.
Skagway, Alaska
The train is a nice thing to do here. I always go to the Skagway brewery for a cold beer and loaded tator tots!
Cruise Hubbard Glacier
It is beautiful. Get out in deck and watch for wildlife

There is a buffet on the very back of the ship. It is usually not as crowded as the one inside. The sports bar on the port side of the ship is a nice place to sit relax and watch a game.

1 Comment