Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

GREAT TRIP - OUR 10th NCL CRUISE

Sail Date: May 29, 2016

The overall cruise was outstanding as usual according to the Norweign Cruise line standards, but the company made some MAJOR changes that a first time Cruiser would have not notice. NUMBER ONE, in the Complimentary Dining  room you NOW HAVE TO PAY for a lobster or Rib-eye Steak, which was included in the cruise cost before.  I always looked forward to that one evening dining to have lobster on the menu - you can but you have to PAY FOR IT.  I would have to rate the NCL food as five times better than Carnival, which we have sailed more than 10 times so far. And NUMBER TWO, the automatic daily gratuties (tips) charges!!  NCL does not mention anything about their Gratuties policy on their brochure - but once your on board and they have your CREDIT CARD - they will charge you for EVERYTHING!  I told the Purser that I always tip generously to all of the NCL Crew that serves me & my wife well.  I don't LIKE THE CRUISE COMPANY TAKING THAT PERSONAL TASK FROM ME - especially since it is my MONEY!  We've been told by many of our Cabin Steward that they receive less than 5% of what is being collected- and they do the majority of the daily chores. Go figure!  We still keep in contact with many of the Crew members we've met on all of our past cruises on FACEBOOK!

My Cabin Steward's name was "Marcos", and she was from the Philippines. She kept our cabin neat and clean for seven days and we barely seen her. In fact, we had to contact her Supervisor the last day of our cruise, just so we could tip her personally for a great job. We also selected her as our hero on the NCL HERO Program they were promoting.
Both embarkation and disembarkation was a cake walk.
Beautiful ship like the Sun & Jewel.
We've done most of the excursion once already, so it was just time to RELAX and Kick back and watch all of the excited tourist going their tour for the FIRST TIME.
Be sure to do some Karaoke - Fun!!
Children's Programs No comment!
I did miss most of the main evening shows, cause I was doing Karaoke every night in the "BLISS", but the Michael Jackson, Madonna, & Elton John Impersonators was "First Class" (Las Vegas Review) and the Entertainment in the Atrium in the evening was excellent too!
Service & Staff was outstanding! They always put on a "smiling" face, working 7 days straight on a nine month work contract, with three months off. Tough Job!!
No more Lobster or Rib-eye on the Complimentary Dining Menu - you NOW have to PAY FOR IT!! Overall, the food was great. We had "Fish & Chips" at Shenagan's and Oriental noodles at the Lotus Garden - which was excellent!
Seattle, Washington
I always love Seattle with many close family living there. Pike's Market, Boeing Field, Puget Sound, and the gateway for the Washington & Canadian Ferries.
Juneau, Alaska
Juneau is so much like the wild west and so much history. I was told once on one of the tours - Juneau might be the State Capital of Alaska but one year a Grizzly Bear broke into the Governor's Mansion and there is a statute of a Florida Pelican outside the State Government building (Sarah Palin?)
Skagway, Alaska
Here is a real frontier town with a house of ill repute to booth! Try finding a grocery store to shop in town - Good Luck! Hint: 4th street - purchase your soda to take on board the ship. Be sure to stop at the famous Skagway Brewery - way down at the end of main street.
Cruise Glacier Bay
This is why we took this Alaskan Cruise - to see just how much the Glacier's have receded, since we last sailed about four years ago. It was sad to see just how much the glacier has melted away. I have informed my family - they need to go to Alaska and see the great glacier - before there is NOTHING!
Ketchikan, Alaska
Our other favorite Alaskan Town, because of it's SALMON! There is a small store in Ketchikan where we always send out our Salmon Orders to our families. Also, if we had sailed in last of August or beginning of Sept - all of the Merchandise on all of the cruise stops would have been discounted greatly - end of their season.
Victoria, British Columbia
We've been to Victoria before and arriving late in the evening on the six day of our cruise - it was just time to RELAX on board the ship.

If you would like to have some Quiet time to read a book or just reflect on the day's events - the back of the ship at the Garden Buffet is the place to be. The coffee & tea machine is always available and sweet snacks are abundance.