A nice getaway but not the best experience we've had

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

10 Night Eastern Caribbean (New York Roundtrip)
Sail Date: January 22, 2016
Ship: Norwegian Gem

I wouldn't recommend an inside cabin.  It was much too small.  The food menu in the dining rooms was pretty repetitive and not very inspiring.  The buffets were fine and we didn't try any specialty restaurants.  The ship was very nice and the service was very good.  The entertainment and activities were excellent.  One of the three excursions I booked through the ship was excellent but the other two both had transportation problems due to poorly maintained buses.  This is my fourth cruise, each with a different cruise line, and this wasn't the best.

Uninspiring at best

Great shows and onboard activities

Awesome stage shows and musical entertainment

An awful lot of unruly kids onboard!

Christopher, our room attendant, was great.

Inside cabin was much too small. Had never had an inside cabin before and won't choose again

Dining rooms were very nice and wait staff was great but menus could not compare to the three other cruise lines I have been on. I know this is "free style" cruising, but the dress code in the dining rooms should have been upheld. The buffet is the place for underdressing and is perfectly fine.