Norwegian Epic Cruise Review to Europe - Western Mediterranean

Great first cruise

Sail Date: October 05, 2014

This was our first cruise.  I went with my wife and her family.  The port calls were good.  We did a couple through NCL and a couple on our own.  I wish the ship had a larger pool; one you could swim a lap in.  I enjoyed the freestyle dining and the entertainment.  My biggest gripe might be small - the elevators were slow.  Many people waited for five minutes, while most just used the stairs.  We had a mid-ship interior room.  The stateroom was nice.  I expected more than frosted glass for the bathroom.  Frosted glass for the shower was fine however.

All in all, it was a great first cruise, but my wife's family are veteran cruisers and expected the perks that goes with that.  This didn't dissuade us from enjoying ourselves.

Wasn't "Great", but I feel it was better than "Ok". At the dining rooms, sometimes our food was not hot. The buffet seating area was cramped. The seats themselves were extra wide which cut down on manueverability through the room. Did not use the pay dining options.
Very friendly.
Locations were great. Can't say "Great" only because we didn't use NCL's tours for each port call.
Naples, Italy
Mt. Vesuvius by Hike and 4X4 was worth the money.
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
Used third-party tour
Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy
Used third-party tour
Cannes, France
NCL contracted guide did not ensure we were all accounted for. Group was too large (50). Audio equipment in the bus and on the tour (Monaco and Monte Carlo) was poor.
Palma De Mallorca, Balearic Islands
Nice island, did the Hop on-Hop off on our own.

Enjoyed getting a daily program the night before. Unfortunately, some critical info (disembarkation procedures) were missing in some of our groups programs.