Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Celebrity Solstice Alaska Tracy Arm Fjord cruise was fabulous

Sail Date: May 20, 2016

We enjoyed the entire cruise.  The service throughout the entire ship was outstanding.  The staff treated us like royalty, from the cabin stewards to the dining room waiters.  Before sailing we had a special request for a fan and it was promptly delivered to our state room on arrival with a smile.  I can't say enough about the service.  There were some things that  I would consider the next time I cruise.  One being the taste of the food, the percentage of cruises that actually make it to their promised destinations (ports or viewing points) and I will never go near any Park West Art auctions again.

The food needs some improvement, even in the specialty dining restaurants.  I found it not to be worth the extra expense to dine in the specialty dining restaurants.  The buffet was very large with lots of different foods and choices, but again tasted ok.  Nothing to write home about.  The main dining room dinner was also ok.  Note that the presentation was very nice and all areas were very clean.  I have had better food on other cruise lines.

I was very disappointed that we did not get to see the main attraction, the large glacier in the Tracy Arm Fjord.  We were told that we would sail right up to the glacier and the ship would turn 360 degrees for all to see the enormous glacier revealing huge chunks of ice falling off into the water.  This didn't take place.  Instead, we stopped while in route to that area to allow probably 400 passengers off load onto two private sight seeing boats.  We waited up to 2 hours for the boats to return and all those passengers to reembark onto the Solstice.  Once this was done, the captain announced that there were too many ice burgs for him to navigate to the grand finale.  The ship turned around and headed back out of the Fjord.  Later in talking to other passengers, it was rumored that it was because the private tour boats held us up and we ran out of time.  Icebergs had nothing to do with completing that portion of our trip.  Very disappointing.  I found it very strange to have 2 tour boats come out of nowhere, in the middle of nowhere, and the huge ship to stop in the middle of the water allowing some passengers to transfer to and from these tour boats, while the other 2200 passengers waited for their return.

Park West Art auctions were fun, but pressure to buy was so intense that it was very uncomfortable.  Cruising is to have fun, not to be made to feel uncomfortable.  I have attended these art auctions in the past and do not remember experiencing such intense sales pressure, ever before.  The pressure was so intense that when the Auctioneer saw my mother walking by the gallery, she would stop her to tell her to have me come by so she could "help" me.  When I did talk to her (the auctioneer), she projected an attitude with her body language and mannerisms along with intense personal questions asking why I didn't want to buy a Max that I seemed so interested in, and would not take my rationale for an answer.  It was a bizarre experience.  I have cruised several times and have always enjoyed the art auctions. I have purchased art at each of them, but this time I felt very uncomfortable and now regret my purchases.  We should feel good about our art purchases.  Not regretful and take away a bad feeling, because art is to be enjoyed by its collector.  Collectors collect for their personal enjoyment, not for others or because of pressure by the sales person.  I hope Park West and Celebrity Cruise Lines will evaluate this high pressure tactic, as it did not make my cruise experience a positive one.

On the other hand, we enjoyed everything else about the cruise.  Again, I cannot say enough about all of the staff and the service.  They made our experience worth every minute that we were on board.  The ship was absolutely beautiful and very clean.  We appreciate the hard work of all staff members and thank each and every one for being so wonderful.

Bingo was too expensive.
Too many extra costs were solicited for onboard activities.
Dining Room: Waiter: Izhick
Asst. Waitress: Ria
Asst. Waitress: Sutini
Maitre d: Brarislav
The wait staff was very friendly, personable, and efficient. I was amazed at how they each were able to make you feel special, while being so busy. We enjoyed getting to know them in such a short period of time. That speaks volumes for who they are as people and professionals. Celebrity is blessed to have such dedicated people working for them.

Cabin steward: I can't remember his name, but he was so wonderful. Always there with a smile and a great friendly attitude. He gave information about on onboard activities and was very knowledgeable. He made our trip very pleasurable. Our cabin was always nice and tidy. I still cannot figure out how he got the sheet corners so tight (:.
Seattle, Washington
Ketchikan, Alaska
Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska
Would have liked to see the glacier. Did not like having to stop the ship to allow a few hundred passengers load and unload onto 2 private tours while the ship waited for their return, causing us to run out of time to see the main attraction (the glacier). The Tracy Arm Fjord was absolutely beautiful. The naturalist interpretation along the was was an added bonus and I loved it.
Juneau, Alaska
Skagway, Alaska
Cruise Inside Passage, Alaska
Victoria, British Columbia

We used room service every morning for breakfast and coffee. It was always on time and hot. I liked the fact that they always called to notify you that it was on its way. I used that call as our wake up call. We got 2 for 1 with that. :)
I really enjoyed the 15th floor lookout seating area.