Which cruise line do you prefer?

hi

im new to cruising. I’m planning on a cruise to carribean in June. It will be for my honeymoon. We are in our late 49’s and mid 50’s. I’m looking at carnival, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean. My first choice was Norwegian to Bermuda but carnival seems to be much more affordable and out of a port that’s closer to home. Although the dates I have available they are only going to Freeport and several other ports.

Neither one of us drink much and like quiet time and love the water and outdoors.

so I’m wondering if there is a difference in cruise lines with respect to atmosphere. Looking for one that offers areas that we can go to just relax or a bit toned down.

And be I like the idea of being in one port for several days.

any advice would be great.

5-7 day cruise works best for us

thanks

Tags: Caribbean best cruise line

40 Answers

I do not think there is a huge difference between any of the three lines although some will vehemently argue that point.

We cannot speak about Carnival but we have sailed both RCL and NCL and enjoyed both, very much. We have noticed that lately RCL has better pricing than NCL and considering they both service the same itineraries from the same general port locations RCL would get the nod in the pricing direction.

Both lines are comparable in most areas so you might want to look at the individual ships and itinerary. If looking at Bermuda both lines offer a number of ships that regularly cruise there from NE ports. Bermuda is an excellent choice. We were just there in November and absolutely loved it. Check out the individual ships as each one offers different things. For quiet relaxation on NCL I would recommend the spa package (does cost extra but is worth it). On RCL Anthem of the Seas they have the adult only Solarium which is probably my favourite area on any ship we have been on and yes it does do Bermuda.

Cheers, good luck, happy cruising and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

An option that you did not mention is Princess - a very laid-back experience. Easy to find quiet time or privacy.

Carnival can be good, but tends to be a bit "livelier" than others. OTOH, I had my honeymoon on Carnival 23 years agoBig Smile. I am not sure if they sail from your local port though, and they are a bit more expensive than the other options you mentioned.

Everything that has been said is so true. Each cruise line offers different pluses and negatives. You'll get as many "this is the best" answers as there are people. The folks that run this forum have done a terrific job of comparisons under ADVICE, especially under the smack down section: https://cruiseline.com/advice

We tend to sail Carnival because it is where we started and we have since accrued some very nice perks. We have enjoyed our cruises on Princess as well. Bermuda is on our wish list and I personally would choose whichever itinerary has that port. I think (and it is just my opinion) you can't go wrong with your choice. Just remember that hurricane season starts in June and the weather (no matter the cruise line) can become an issue.

Have only been on 2 cruises both on NCL so I am fairly new to cruising as well but I can say that the NCL Boston to Bermuda was a boat load of fun. No pun intended. Bermuda is beautiful and clean.

I really enjoy NCL, even their older ships seem really special to me. That would probably be my top choice out of those three. However, Royal is known for their many amenities and activities and they're great too, and Carnival tends to have lots of great free dining options - although they are definitely more of a line for fun so if you want to relax I'd go with NCL or Royal. But they all have great pros!

I've sailed Royal Caribbean and Carnival. Of the two I prefer Royal. Their ships have more to offer and, in my experience, are better maintained. They also tend to be quieter.

Each cruise line (and each ship) is a little different. Carnival always catered to a party crowd and offers really low prices. Royal tries to offer activities for everyone, but at a somewhat higher price point.

Newer ships of both lines are bigger and have more to offer.

Both lines attempt to have activities for kids, especially young kids. However, my 20-25 y.o. kids were bored on Carnival. They had a great time on Royal.

Celebrity, Princess and Royal Caribbean are our favourites, in that order. Royal is the most lively and activity oriented. Celebrity is the most laid back and relaxing. Princess is in between. The only thing I don't like on Princess is the outdoor screen by the pool. It is great for Movies under the Stars, but in the daytime it blasts concerts and cartoons which are not at all relaxing. There is a quiet pool, but it is often very crowded.

We like RCI and NCL about the same, with the nod going to RCI. Carnival is more for people that like to stay up late, I think. That's not us. We did not care for the one Carnival cruise we sailed.

Our first cruise was on NCL Norway in 1998. That was a special ship!

I have cruised Carnival, RCI and NCL. If those are the only 3 options for you I would suggest 1. RCI 2. Carnival and 3. NCL. I would suggest you look at Celebrity and Princess for a more upscale cruise in terms of ship decor, service and food also not so much the 20's and 30's party cruises. The worst food and service I have gotten on any cruise line was on twice on NCL. The best food and service I have gotten was 1. Celebrity 2. Princess 3. HAL (great food and service but most guest are seniors)

This is based MHO after about 30 cruises. Some here love NCL, some here hate Carnival. I based my opinions on my cruising experience. I happen to like Carnival, RCI, and Princess, Love Celebrity and dislike NCL.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.