Oasis class ship to Galveston 2020?

Saw in a Galveston travel article that RCL signed an agreement with port authority to upgrade terminals to support an oasis class ship. Anyone else seen other sources on this? I know Liberty goes to dry dock in the spring of 2020 so an Oasis class would be a great ship to carry the load.

Tags: Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas RCL Oasis Class to Galveston

52 Answers

No, but Liberty of the Seas dry dock moved from April of 2020 to May 2021. Guessing its being kept in place until terminal upgrades can be completed and an Oasis class ship can be accomodated. (Don't think RCL would give up a 7 day large ship market to Carnival for a year.)

Has anyone heard anything about this recently?

Saw that Liberty of the Sea's dry dock schedule was moved from Apr 2020 to 2021. This may indicate that an Oasis class won't show up in Galveston until 2021.Crying

We always cruise Carnival BUT we are going to give Royal C a try with the Oasis class ship. We feel like turncoats as that will cost us fun points, but the ships look interesting.

Cruise lines often move hip around seasonally.

I've read on another cruise forum from a Galveston insider that this well past the planning stage and is a priority that is almost certain to come through. There have been numerous meetings between RCCL and Galveston County to confirm the Oasis' Class requirements and governmental funding on the new port which will be farther to the east of the two current piers. Read some articles from the Galveston newspapers too. I'll try to find them

I heard frequent fog was a contributing factor to the closure. I didn't realize that was an issue until I experienced it. They have a lot of delays.

Too bad the other Houston port didn't work out -- it was nice having Princess sail out of the Houston area.

As BDRebel mentioned, I too would love to see longer cruises out of of Galveston and ones that don't stop at Cozumel. Been there. Done that. I would love even more if other cruise lines decided to give Galveston a try.

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.