Oasis class ship to Galveston 2020?

Saw in a Galveston travel article that RCL signed an agreement with port authority to upgrade terminals to support an oasis class ship. Anyone else seen other sources on this? I know Liberty goes to dry dock in the spring of 2020 so an Oasis class would be a great ship to carry the load.

Tags: Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas RCL Oasis Class to Galveston

52 Answers

I sail out of there in March 2020. Curious if there's any construction going on. The port story I read was dated Dec 2018.

I drive by every week or two. I haven't seen any construction yet. The new location is a few blocks NE of the current terminal.

So 2021 is becoming less likely.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! you now have a new job....unpaid Galveston construction scout-in-chief...UGCSIC fer short....

Just found an interesting thread on another website: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/6844-galveston-nearing-deal-on-oasis-class-ship-new-terminal/page/3/

One of the comments is:

On LOS right now. Talked to NextCruise this afternoon and the agent said Oasis is coming to Galveston, just not sure when. I said, yes that the rumor was when the new terminal was finished that an Oasis class was coming. I said I heard Allure was coming and the agent said, no, it will be the Oasis. The agent said RCL hasn’t advertised it yet because they are waiting on the terminal to be closer to being finished. Exciting if that’s what actually happens. Of course, things could change tomorrow.

If this is true, then we will be seeing an Oasis ship real soon!

The thread also brings up the possibility of an Icon ship, but that seems less certain.

Well, at some point the dates HAVE to become firm. No more games...Thanks for that!

Sooooooo...I went back and looked over what announcements I could actually find...all I ever came across was that the parties had entered into one of those infamously useless MOU's...that is, a "memo of understanding"...anyone who has ever dabbled in the "great game" knows you can paper the walls with em. or, in an emergency, you could....well..never mind...

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.