Cruise from hell

Zuiderdam Cruise Review to Caribbean

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Zuiderdam

10 Night Panama Canal Sunfarer (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip)

Sail date: February 05, 2016

Ship: Zuiderdam

Cabin type: Suite

Cabin number: 6175

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

Last year I did the same cruise and enjoyed it tremendously but this year everything went wrong. The norovirus attacked many passenger. My mother spend 2 days in her cabin cause of diarrhea. My son Michael vomited twice on the dinner table and I was held in my room because of diarrhea. Yes some precautions were taken but not enough. Our balcony was filthy and so we took pictures to show. People were allowed to smoke in their balconys and in the casino. There were no designated areas for smoking as on other cruise lines. We did not go to Costa Rica because of bad weather but we couldn't get of  at Grand Cayman because it was too dangerous for the wheelchair to be transfer to the shuttles and then to shore.  Will never travel Holland America again.

Ship experiences

The cabin is suppose to be handicap accessible but the door does not open automatically. The door handle is very hard and anyone in a wheelchair has difficult opening and entering the room. The balcony was dirty and was never cleaned. We had cigarette boxes which were thrown from other balconies. The mat on our recliner was also very soiled and we took pictures of it.

Ports of call

Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades), Florida

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas (Private Island)

Oranjestad, Aruba

Willemstad, Curacao

Enter Panama Canal At Cristobal

Cruise Gatun Lake (Inside Panama Canal)

Cruise Gatun Lake (Inside Panama Canal)

Cruise Gatun Lake And Panama Canal