Sirena Cruise Review to Canaries

GREAT Time on Sirena- Kasbah to Canaries

Sail Date: September 20, 2016

Reviewed: 17 days ago

Cabin: 7016

My wife and I were very pleased with our trip, its itinerary and especially the food and staff. I could not believe previous reviews about the staff, because it was the best on all 4 of my Oceania voyages. Food was superior once again especially in the GDR and Red Ginger, and the Terrace Cafe had a large variety of choices at all meals. The ship has most of the same amenities as Marina and Riviera , though it has fewer specialty restaurants and the boutiques are smaller. The entertainment was varied and very enjoyable, and we experienced all of them- nightly production shows and guest performers, The Quadruvian String Quartet, the Sirena Show band, dancing at night in Horizons, etc.

The cabin was small, especially the bathroom, but that is true of ALL the R ships like Nautica, etc. I usually worked out, went to the steam room and took a shower at the Spa, while my wife used our cabin. Room was clean and well maintained by housekeeping. Bedding, pillows are superior.
Embarkation took 5 minutes. Oceania picked us up at the airport and provided a panoramic tour of Barcelona before we arrived at the ship. Travelers have to know that it takes time to do the turnover from one cruise to another. Disembarkation went smoothly.
Very clean! Some evidence of the ship's age in places. Must continue to keep the ship updated. Public areas were very nice. Casino, bars, library, internet room, card room, etc. were all very nice!
Unique itinerary- Spain, Portugal, Madeira Is, Canaries, Morocco and Gibraltar. Good selection of tours and excursions and well organized by on board staff. Maybe a little more $ at times, but the security of knowing the ship will wait for you if you are late is a comfort, plus not having to research 10 different ports on my own.
A few more activities could be planned for the days at sea, but Sirena offered more than either Riviera or Marina. Spa facilities were excellent and the pool area was very nice and well staffed. Granted, the pool was small, but no one was looking to do their morning laps!
We attended every show- Best Oceania Production Company I've seen who did 4 shows. Varied performers- Incredible Soprano, Celtic Fiddling, etc. Great show band and wonderful string quartet who we listened to every night.
Waiters, housekeeping, Spa employees and pool staff were excellent.
Rafael-CEO was everywhere and very helpful.
Corey the Tour Director was engaging, often silly, but truly cares about the ship and passengers.
Grand Dining Room is almost as large as the ones on Marina and Riviera. Ask waiter about portions and add a side dish if you think the portion of the entree may be small for you.
Cartagena, Spain
You can walk into town very easily and see many of the top attractions w/o a tour. Only port I would say that about.
Malaga, Spain
Go to Granada and Alhambra! Full day w/lunch.
Lisbon, Portugal
Loved Lisbon! You can walk into the older part of Lisbon from the ship, but take a Highlights Tour that includes a trolley ride through the city.
Santa Cruz De Tenerife, Canary Islands
Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Tour the National Park, vineyards and do the camel ride! Very unusual place.
Agadir, Morocco
Long trip to village outside of Agadir; very interesting, look at real life in country.
Casablanca, Morocco
Highlights Tour- we had an exceptional guide. Great contrasts.
Gibraltar (U.K.)
Great shopping; can walk into town easily. Go see the tunnels and apes!
Palma De Mallorca, Balearic Islands
Take the tour to Valldemossa and the Train ride in Soller. Lunch was great. Beautiful scenery if you get away from the port. Tapas and Flamenco tour is also very good.

Oceania caters mostly to an older traveler. GREAT Food, great itineraries and tours, and enough entertainment and activities to make me continue to book on Oceania.

Try to find a cabin in the middle of the ship if available. Book a larger cabin if you think you'll be cramped.

1 Comment