Good and bad

Ruby Princess Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Ruby Princess

7 Night Alaska Inside Passage With Glacier Bay (Seattle Roundtrip)

Sail date: August 18, 2018

Ship: Ruby Princess

Cabin type: Oceanview

Cabin number: P321

Traveled as: Large Group

Review summary

First of all, it’s BS that they ask about the ports of call in this review. Those were great, the ship sucked. But they end up with an average review because of the good reviews of the off-ship experiences that had nothing to do with them. There is no reason they couldn’t be more inclusive of children. If that is really driven by older people who don’t want children near them on vacation, then I wish all the bad things in the world on those people. I have to tolerate walking at .001 mile per hour behind your walker down a narrow hallway (and I don’t mind, because I get that is where you are in life), but you can tolerate my pretty-well-behaved children being children. Regarding the staff and general ship environment, I believe my kids were non-people to them simply because they didn’t have thier own wallets.

Embarkation

Ship experiences

Cruise ships really don’t even try to be inclusive of children. This cruise advertises being child-friendly, but what that really means is that the have a day care you can put your child in all day (you’re not even allowed to go in with them). I work long hours and don’t have as much time withmy family as I would like. On vacation, I want to dothings with them. I shouldn’t have to do a Disney cruise just to be able to have family time.

As I said above, “children’s activities” really means day care. Don’t expect time with your family on the ship. Most places you go are pretty hostile if you enter with children, even if they are technically allowed.

Some staff were wonderful. Our server in the restaurant (DaVinci Room on the Ruby Princess) was great and there was a guitarist there who was super friendly and went out of his way to charm my kids. Other staff were pretty hostile including, bizarrely, the child care staff. We were going to have one of my children check it out (My 2yo was not welcome) but the nasty attitude of the staff seriously made me concerned to leave him with them. Also, other people in our group would rave about service they were getting while we practically had to beg for anything anywhere. We realized that the staff is genuinely trying to make it hostile to people with kids. Well, you were successful. I will never go on a cruise with you (or probably anyone) again.

The guy who handled our cabin was very nice. The cabin was clean and was turned down effectively. But there was just not enough room for a family of 4 with luggage, etc. I know that’s what cruises are like. This was my first- and definitely my last- cruise

Ship tip

Don’t go if you are a family. You will find yourself quite unwelcome.

Ports of call

Seattle, Washington

It’s Seattle!

Juneau, Alaska

It’s good once you get past the cruise ship town stretching the first half mile. See the Mendenhall Glacier.

Skagway, Alaska

Amazing. By the way, once you’re off the ship, bizzare we-hate-children world ends. See the musher camp and White Pass Railroad. Sights of a lifetime.

Ketchikan, Alaska

Victoria, British Columbia

Victoria was beautiful. It would have been nice to get there with more than 1.5 hours of daylight.

Disembarkation