Regal Princess Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

Contributor Level: Second Mate

Nickel & Dimed To Death

Sail Date: May 20, 2014

We have been on many cruises in the past and were excited to go on the brand new Regal Princess.  We were happily surprised when we checked into the ship to have received a stateroom upgrade!

Once on the ship, we were asked for an upcharged for absolutely everything.  I ordered a hot tea at the bar and was charged $1.50 because it was after 4:30 PM.  I guess they are free before 4:30 pm??  When we played bingo, we paid a fortune for our cards, and then were told we needed to pay $1.50 if we wanted to buy a bingo marker!!  They said we could use a pen if we had one, but I'm on a cuise and not carrying things around with me, so I was forced to buy the $1.50 marker.  During the movies at the pool, they gave free popcorn, but then came around with a tray of candy that you could pay $3.50 for.  No thanks!  Oh, and they added a 15% gratuity to everysingle upcharge as well.  If you bought a bottle of water, you were charged 15%.  It was crazy!

I got a massage in the Lotus Spa.  It was beautiful, but you had to pay $100 to use the spa pool & sauna after and were asked to wait in the room after the massage so they could try to sell you a bunch of stuff I never knew I needed.  Also, the Spa is built under the stage in the main theater, so I heard banging, dancing and carts going over me the whole time.  My massage bed also broke TWICE during my massage, so it was not very enjoyable to say the least.  The manager did give me a free massage to make up for it, which I appreciated.

The food was bland and basically the same menu everyday.

There was little to no entertainment

The excursion staff was no help and very unknowledgeable.

The statrooms were lovely though and they had the Love Boat on demand which we thought was funny

Corfu, Greece Didn't go here
Dubrovnik, Croatia Didn't go here
Kotor, Montenegro
Nothing exciting.
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
We had an amazing tour here, but it cost us over $700 for the 2 of us. Our tour guide was fantastic!
Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy
Did a tour here too. Tour guide was alright, but city was amazing
Toulon, France
Did a tour here too. It was awful, so we left and walked around on our own in Aix En Provence. No need to waste $ on the tour!
Barcelona, Spain
Amazing, but we spent 3 extra nights here!