Fell short of Expectations - Disappointed

Oosterdam Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

Cruises: 4-6 cruises

Overall rating:

Oosterdam

12 Night Adriatic Dream (Venice To Rome)

Sail date: April 30, 2018

Ship: Oosterdam

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 10018

Traveled as: Family (older children)

Review summary

I was so excited to take this cruise with my mom. We had both heard such amazing reviews about Holland America. Needless to say we were disappointed. I guess it all comes down to the boat you get so be sure you do your research. This boat is too old and needs some major updates and a great cleaning.

Embarkation

Lack of staff at Port entrance left us looking for help for my 81 year old mother.

Ship experiences

Average at best. Lack of variety was disappointing. The snack items were limited. I even had to squirrel away nuts at breakfast because they did not provide at any other meal!

Lido Restaurant

Lack of variety. They pretty much had the same things everyday. Also there were no real health snacks. I was hoping for almonds and walnuts and they were not available.

Very lack luster and unorganized. YAWN!

Lido Pool

Old and dated pool furniture. Ripping cushions and rattan chairs. I saw one lady cut her leg on the damaged rattan.

Greenhouse Spa And Salon

The facilities were old, but I really like Dr Luisa and wanted her to get a great review. She is wonderful.

Gymnasium

Dated and small. There hours are only from 6 am to 9 Pm which is inconvenient if you are looking to vacation and get up at 7, still make shore excursions and eat at the 5:45 seating. It truly makes no sense to close the gym so early.

Our stewards from the 10th floor were amazing. Hats off to Olih and Robin for making our trip!

Old and dated. This ship has seen better days. I was even told by a few staff memebers it was dry docked prior but nothing was really done to improve it. Its a shame!

Ship tip

I would choose another ship. This one is too old and dated at this point.

Ports of call

Venice, Italy

So so busy!

Split, Croatia

Heavily tourist and over commercialized.

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Mykonos, Greece

Valletta, Malta

Mgarr, Malta

Palermo, Sicily

Watch out for scammers! Cab drivers tried to scam multiple couples which was unsettling. Our cab driver quoted one rate and tried to collect $150 more Euros when we finished then had the audacity to ask for a tip!

Naples, Italy