Norwegian Sun Cruise Review to South America

Third Mate

The Reconstruction cruise

Sail Date: April 09, 2016

I have a call into Harry knoll. Several days into the cruise a terrible smell came over the ship. It was definitely a sewer smell mostly in the back end of the ship. Lucky us...Had an aft balcony and the smell was wafting into the garden cafe, sports bar and back outdoor eating areas. It was so bad when people walked around the entire back area they had to cover their noses. Complaints caused NCL workers  to shampoo the carpets but the smell persisted.It ws difficult for me to eat much.. (Oh wait that is a good thing because after this long cruise I'm still wearing my skinny jeans. ) Then 10 days into the cruise NCL brought on 250 workers to install cable into the ceiling to improve the internet service . Since they shortened their original dry dock time they had this work done on the cruise. It was unreal. There were worker everywhere day and night taking down ceiling tiles crawling through the ceiling and standing around the holes in the ceiling. There was insulation and debris all over below the open ceiling holes which were just about every other ceiling panel.The workers all wore masks and rags on their heads while us passengers walked around the construction areas. The areas were In  the hallways making it hard to get around the ship. My husband witnessed a lady passing one of the worker groups. Just as she was trying to pass, one of the workers pulled on a pile of cable causing the woman to trip. They just stood there looking at her on the floor. One of the room stewards ran to pick her up before my husband could get to her. The stewart took her to her room. They workers would crawl around the ceiling in the night waking us up with the scraping and bumping from above, I and others started with a dry cough and tickling in the throat. The whole experience was unbelievable. When we were coming back to the ship at the LA port the building and ramps had that distinctive odor. My friend asked one of the port officers what was causing the unpleasant smell. The officer said, "That sir, would be your ship" It was a humorous moment. Then for the final finally, we discovered NCL put  an additional $130.00 pending charge after we Disembarked. I have no idea what it is for and this morning I left a message for the NCL claims department. They have not contacted me. My friend told me when they got their final bill their were charges, which were marked paid on their bill. When they questioned the desk about it they were told one of the contractors used their room number and put on charges. The contractor paid NCL. so they didn't have to worry. They were putting on 0ver 1000 workers on the ship as we were leaving. They would be assigning them passenger rooms. The 250 workers left the ship at the port before we came to LA were also staying in unoccupied rooms. This whole cruise was horrible on so many levels.

The engine spewed black oily debris all over the back of the ship. We book aft when they are available and we never have experienced this before.
the only 2 highlights of the cruise.
Fun if you like indoor ring toss and horseshoes. The program that talked about the areas was interesting. The art auctions were everywhere. Not much enthusiasm unless you played bingo. It was if the cruise director staff just checked out in Valparaiso.
Show band and dancers wonderful. Contract entertainers, not so good
Food and Dining food started out great but choices became limited and it was hard for me to eat because of the smell.

Don't BOOK A CRUISE ON THIS SHIP. After the disrespect Corporate NCL showed to their passengers and the highly dedicated and trained working staff, I will be waiting to hear from them and I'lll be free to look other places to spend my vacation dollars.

1 Comment