Norwegian Sun Cruise Review to Alaska - Gulf of Alaska

Fun cruise, great staff, beautiful views

Sail Date: July 20, 2015

Just got back from the cruise, and we really had a great time. Most of the ports we stopped at were all really fun, and the cruise schedule gave us plenty of time so we actually had time to explore each of the towns. One of my favorite days was when we spent a morning in Glacier Bay National Park, which was a great day with an on-board park ranger who was able to give us facts and information about each of the glaciers we passed.

The food was fairly good as well. The free restaurant options were fairly limited, as it was a smaller cruise ship, but the menu in them was rotated each day so I never got bored with the food. In addition, the buffet was almost always open, which offered a wide variety of mostly-passable food.

As far as the offered on-board activities, they were fairly extensive. If so desired, we could remain busy the entire day long from start to finish. The activities themselves weren’t always the best options and some of the staff leading the activities weren’t always great, but I appreciated that the options where there. The entertainment, however, was great and very fun every night. The staff onboard the ship were almost all friendly and helped to make the environment of the ship high-energy and fun.  Richard, the cruise director, was especially energetic and always joyful.

All-in-all, I had a wonderful, relaxing, and fun vacation and I quite enjoyed my time on the Norwegian Sun.

Freestyle dining is great, food good there. Buffet is always-open which is nice
Small ship, but they did a good job with their on-board cast and still put on some good shows
We only did a few of the activities, but they were mostly all lackluster. Also, most activities led by DJ Viper (the on-board DJ) were especially bad. We went to the ballroom dance session and he was not responsive at all to taking requests from us. He seemed to just want to hit shuffle and stop paying attention
Small ship, but it was nice and well-maintained
It was an interior cabin, but fairly spacious (for a cruise) and I liked it. Our stateroom steward, Trevor, was also incredibly friendly and would go and straighten up the room multiple times a day.
Vancouver (Canada Place), British Columbia
Amazing city - absolutely loved it! We came a few days early so we could get extra time to explore
Cruise Inside Passage, Alaska
Ketchikan, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
Hiked Mt. Richards and saw lots of great wildlife
Skagway, Alaska
Cruise Glacier Bay
Amazing! Absolutely beautiful area and lots of sea otters everywhere! Park ranger came on board that day and helped answer any questions and give fun facts about the area
Cruise Hubbard Glacier
Seward (Anchorage), Alaska

Bring Dramamine for the cruise. It's a great ship, but smaller than most cruise ships. As such, you definitely will feel the rocking of the waves, so I much appreciated having Dramamine with me so I could prevent seasickness.

1 Comment