Norwegian Sun Cruise Review to Alaska - Gulf of Alaska

Great Alaska Cruise on Norwegian Sun

Sail Date: May 25, 2015

I think this Alaska cruise that includes Glacier Bay, inside passage, and the 3 main cities (Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau) is a must for everyone once in a lifetime.  It was fun to stay in Vancouver a few days before the cruise.  The scenery on the ship and at the ports was amazing.  We got very lucky with the weather.  I loved the dance/singing shows on the ship.  My one main complaint was that I felt that our shore excursions were too expensive for what was offered.  The American Airlines shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier was too rushed and too expensive. I would recommend just taking the $20 shuttle from the port at Juneau and take as much time as you would like visiting the glacier and the visitors' center.  Also the photography tour (American Airlines) was too expensive in Skagway. I would recommend the train in Skagway instead.  Also, you are not allowed to take food off the ship, but they did not give snacks on the tours, so I was very hungry.  Overall, though, a fantastic time on this cruise.

I liked the freestyle cruising. I enjoyed sitting down and getting served (whenever we felt like) when I was tired. Also, it's easier to control your portions if you go to the restaurant and get served. Buffet was great too, though!
Loved the dancers and singers! I went to every show. Victor Cruz played great guitar (alternative rock) in the Windjammer. The juggler was very funny and skilled.
Children's Programs N/A
I took a dance class and was surprised that it was a ballet stretching class. I was looking for more of a workout. The free dance classes are only 1/2 hour.
Shore excursions though American Airlines at Juneau (Mendenhall Glacier) and Skagway (photography tour) were too expensive. Other people in Skagway on a bus tour paid less, had a longer tour, had lunch included, saw better scenery, and saw bears!.
For an Alaskan cruise, I really think it's worth it to have a window (not an inside room) so that you don't miss the scenery. Very pretty to see the moon over the ocean in the evening too.
Vancouver (Canada Place), British Columbia
Biking around Stanley Park was my favorite. People are very nice and it's easy to get around. I recommend staying near the waterfront, near the cruise terminal because it is so central and close to the visitor center. Go to Vancouver Overlook-during the day was great, but the entrance fee allows you to come back at night if you want.
Cruise Inside Passage, Alaska
Ketchikan, Alaska
Juneau, Alaska
Go to Mendenhall Glacier. The public shuttle (20$) from the port is probably the best way to do it. We paid too much for a rushed American Airlines shuttle to the glacier.
Skagway, Alaska
I heard the train ride is great. We paid too much for an American Airlines photography tour.
Cruise Glacier Bay
Fantastic. The ship rotated slowly twice in place, so plenty of time to see all views from all directions. Look at the views from outside.
Cruise Hubbard Glacier N/A Weather was bad so we turned around.
Seward (Anchorage), Alaska
Bus transfer to Anchorage airport is expensive but necessary. Views are awesome on the busride.

In Juneau, take the public shuttle (20$) at the port to see Mendenhall Glacier. We paid too much (~50$) for an American Airlines tour that felt rushed.

1 Comment