Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Beautiful Scenery, Friendly Staff, but not very Vegan/ Vegetarian Friendly

Sail Date: June 11, 2016

Pros: Alaska was beautiful. The people who work on the ship are exceptionally friendly, and there is a lot to do on board.

Cons: Employees working with credit cards and billing need to be informed of policies (especially around using two different credit cards for payment) I spent a couple hours trying to get information and get the proper credit cards used.

As far as the food, I was very disappointed. I had heard that Norwegian was a good cruise for vegans. That's not true. They do take the time to come and place an order with you for food everyday, but you have little to no options to choose from. They don't seem to understand what a vegan is or how to cater to them. We are people who like flavor and variety like any other passenger. We just don't like our food made with animal products. There are numerous options that exist to make a pleasant experience for vegans, and a lot of the food we eat, other passengers would eat as well.  Making the choice not to cook corn or oatmeal in milk are just two examples of ways to help us have more variety. Pasta dishes can be vegan, and there are many tofu dishes that you can find recipes for by just googling vegan recipes. Falafels and hummus can also be used. I travel the world and never have a problem finding restaurants that either are vegan or vegetarian or have vegan options. Norwegian and the cruise business in general needs to find its way tot he 21st century. The amount of vegetarians/ vegans in the world is growing quite rapidly. The unpleasant experience I have with the food on board will definitely make me think twice about taking another cruise. We pay as much as anyone else, and we should be given adequate food options. There should be a vegetarian/ vegan section at the buffet for every meal as well as a vegetarian menu with numerous options like the meat one with at least half of those options that can be made vegan. It was clear that Norwegian was taking the time to try and help, but it's not very helpful if they will not take the time to try and understand. I would suggest consulting directly with a vegan chef to assist in creating adequate options on board.

I did like the cabin, but sleeping and waking in darkness was difficult for me. It would be great if Norwegian could put in timer lighting that could be set to gradually come to a dim light as to seem like you're being waken by the sun.
The karaoke rooms were an absolute mess. You should really make sure they are in working order.
A lot of the activities during the day seemed to be about Norwegian making more money, which was a bit of a turn off.