Amazing Norwegian Experience!

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Contributor Level: Third Mate

7 Night Alaska Sawyer Glacier (Seattle Roundtrip)
Sail Date: June 07, 2014

Our cruise aboard the Norwegian Jewel to Alaska was a fabulous experience! Everything went according to the itinerary in a smooth and organized manner.  I'm quite a structured person so I like to have scheduled dinner and show times with assigned seating, etc., however, I was impressed with Norwegian's freestyle cruising concept - overall it worked well for our family of 32 people.  The ship was wonderful and very well maintained, but the staff made the experience.  This was our 6th cruise and we've cruised on many of the competing cruise lines, but I think Norwegian's staff was the most genuinely polite and caring staff I've experienced.  I'm aware that is the expectation for all cruise companies, apparently Norwegian must treat and value their staff above their other competitors as these employees were very genuine.  The only issues our family had are: 1) a lack of seating in the show room if it is the time others also desire (no assigned time) and, 2) the seating in the Garden Cafe (buffet) was limited and was only on one side of the ship rather than have available seating accross the entire deck.  One other item that was amazing to me was that the ship's construction has a water ballast system that made the ship amazingly smooth, even on the open sea.  When I got off the boat I have not had any continuing motion - like I've had with all other cruises I've been on.

Although the destinations were beautiful and the experience can't be contained in photos or recitation I can't say enough great things about the wonderful Norwegian Jewel staff.  I completed six "hero" cards prior to disembarking from the ship, but there were so many of the staff who were outstanding - but I did not get their names, I would love to mention all of them.

Our family thinks the food aboard the Jewel was the best we've ever had on a cruise ship.

We were involved the entire cruise in onboard activities, they were fun and inviting.

The shows and other entertainment aboard the Jewel was wonderful!

My grandchildren and nieces and nephews had a great experience.

As mentioned in my description I can't praise the staff enough, they were great! David Walker, Shankar, Nachelle, and Lyster - just to name a few - were outstanding! I would love to be able to name more of the great staff, but I didn't get enough of their names!

The ship was very well maintained in every detail

The cabin was great and the cabin steward was wonderful. I normally don't like inside cabins as I prefer to have a view and to see what's going on outside, but with our family of 32 people aboard the ship we only spent time sleeping in the cabin so it was great. With the long daylight hours in Alaska the inside cabin was actually very nice.

I always prefer the Tsar's Palace dining room for every meal. It's typically not crowded, the ambiance is great and the food is fabulous! I did visit the Garden Cafe (buffet) on deck 12 a couple of times and it was very crowded at every visit - use the Tsar's Palace!

Very nice city, the weather was beautiful when we left
The prettiest of all of the ports on the cruise - do the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show
Ride the tram to the top of the bay and take a tour up to the Mendenhall Glacier
Probably the most amazing part of the cruise - get up on the deck and get the entire experience
Take the train up to the White Pass, the scenery is breathtaking
At least tour the city - the inner harbor and the parliament building are very impressive