Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Contributor Level: Second Mate

1st Time on Norwegian!!!

Sail Date: July 12, 2014

Cabin: GTY

The Getaway was a beautiful ship with a wonderful crew that worked really hard to ensure your time aboard is enjoyable.I traveled with my husband and 13 year old son on the Eastern itinerary.  We chose this cruiseline for the Freestyle Dining and found it to be a great option for my family since we dont like to "dress formal" while on vacation. I was very pleased with the complimentary dining options that were available without the added expense of the specialty restaurants. I was expecting to have to eat in the Buffet areas all week, but found that there truly are other good restaurant options that allowed us to enjoy nice meals without the hussle and bussle of the buffet crowds. My husband and son particularily enjoyed the O'Sheenan's Restaurant stating that they had "the best buffalo wings" on the boat! For me, it was nice to go get a made to order omlet for breakfast without having to stand in line, holding a plate. The quality of the food was very good and we tried all of the complimentary dining options except the Tropicanna Room, only because we just ran out of time.

My 13 year old really enjoyed the Entourage club and looked forward to spending time there each evening. As an only child, he had no problem making new friends and he said the counselors were "pretty cool" about including everyone and introducing kids the first 2 sea days. Throughout the week, he spent a lot of time with his "new friends" playing mini golf, basketball, and several other activities. His only complaint was the pool. He only got to swim about 15 mins on the first day. The pools are just too small and too crowded. While the ship has the featured waterslides, the lines are very long and there are just too many people using the pools to enjoy them, at least on the sea days. For adults, you will have to get up early to secure a good location by the pool. Whether in the sun or the limited shaded areas, I agree that the pool deck was not designed well and it is too small. We ended up using our port time to enjoy the beaches and swim.

The entertainment aboard the Getaway was also really great! My husband and I enjoyed Burn the Floor, Legally Blonde (although he wont admit it), and the comedian Mark Vierra! However, our favorite was the majic show "Illuminarium". Having never been to a "live" magic show, I was not expecting to be involved in their tricks. They are several opportunities for audience participation which makes it fun and made us Believers! The Floor seats are worth the extra price to get better viewing, but get there early for the best seating. Also, bring an unusual item for the Mentalist to guess. I just happened to have an umbrella in my purse, and she not only guessed what it was, she even knew the color. She also guessed what my son's picture was on his IPhone and it wasnt even on! (You had to be there, it was really shocking!)

We stayed in an AFT Balcony Cabin 14276 on the 14 Floor. This I wont recommend unless you plan to party on the ship. The cabin itself is fine, but it directly under the Garden Cafe - Deck 15 (Buffet) and the H2O Spice (Party Deck - 16) and you can hear the music (and feel the vibrations) up until 1am in the morning. It's quiet in the back of the ship during the day and you will also feel a lot of the ship movement, so it that is what you like, it would be the perfect cabin.

Overall, we had a lot of fun on the ship and will definitely "Cruise Like a Norwegian" again!

Phindile helped my husband pick out a great Movado watch for his birthday! Her kindness and patience was outstanding!!! Christine, David, and Lincoln were also very friendly and helpful in the Tradewinds Gift Shop!
My son really enjoyed the Teen Entourage Club!
Lot's to do indoors during seadays, from Art Seminars to Line Dancing Classes!!!
Time in Nassau is just too short! A half day is not enough time and too expensive to enjoy the Atlantis resort. However, the Blue Lagoon Beach Break was a nice alternative and it came with a good lunch!
Cabin 14276 looks just like it is pictured. It is an AFT Balcony Stateroom which gives it a little bit bigger balcony that a regular balcony stateroom. Sitting on the Balcony was kind of like riding on a yacht because you are facing backwards as the ship is moving. I'm rating this cabin just OK, because at night you can hear the music (and feel the vibrations) from the H2O Spice Deck til about 1am! If you dont plan to be in your cabin from about 10pm to 1am, then this cabin would be a great choice!
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Great place for high end shopping!
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Easy to get a cab and explore the island without paying for a pricey excursion!
Nice beaches! Stay away from Atlantis!

Best tip I can offer, is utilize the other complimentary dining options if you like to eat your meals during traditional meal times. The Garden Cafe (Buffet Area) reminds me of a High School Cafeteria.

1 Comment