Not good

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

10 Night Eastern Caribbean (New York Roundtrip)
Sail Date: March 12, 2016
Ship: Norwegian Gem

This cruise didn't meet our expectations at all.  The food wasn't good (particularly Garden Cafe was awful), the service was only okay, and there were too many issues on board.  There was a norovirus outbreak that sickened myself and over 130 passengers.  We were denied access to St. Maarten due to the outbreak.  The pools aren't heated and the hot tubs weren't hot.  They also completely botched my birthday surprise cake - they knocked on my door, woke me up, and handed me my cake 9:30pm "happy birthday" and the dude was nearly half way down the hall when I looked up.  So much for setting up balloons and garland in my room BEFORE boarding the ship.  We also didn't get our $75 on board spending credit (even though I made arrangements through and filled out the forms) and the NCL staff was unwilling to assist in obtaining it when we were out to sea - "call ".. Uh, no phone service.  Wines by the Glass weren't good at all.  So many hidden service charges and fees.  I don't recommend cruising with NCL.

Our steward was good and personable. We always had extra towels brought over and it was cleaned regularly. I heard from some reviews that they had stinky rooms.. we didn't have that.

-Bring hand sanitizer and clorox wipes.
-Even with the included unlimited beverage package you will pay service charges. Nothing is ever "complimentary" on NCL. Fresh squeezed juices and specialty coffees are extra.
-You will wait a while for a drink at the bars.