Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Great trip from NYC!

Sail Date: November 23, 2015

I took this cruise with my boyfriend and we had a lot of fun. We opted into the specialty dining package and really enjoyed dinner at Cagney's Steakhouse our last night. All the regular dining options were also nice. We preferred the desserts in the main dining rooms Magenta and Grand Pacific and the usual fare in the Garden cafe buffet area.

Our room was cleaned thoroughly twice a day by our friendly room attendant. We checked out many parts of the ship, from the casino, to the hot tubs, to the basketball court and more.

Throughout the trip, we went to the showtime performances. The house performers and singers were energetic and entertaining (although the performance "World Beat" really left me wondering who chose it. It featured a musical "taste" of different cultures that mostly just painted broad stereotypical strokes over musical sounds from countries like China, India/Middle East Region?, somewhere in Latin America, and the entire continent of Africa referred to as a homogeneous unit in which NO musical reference was attempted, but just Toto's "Africa" played while young men and women danced in cheetah print loin cloths. Not the best pick in 2015.)

All the other performances were more politically correct and actually really fun! A cirque act livened up the end of the trip, and Second City comedy had my boyfriend and I lolling.

We went to several cocktail tastings and the bartenders were always friendly and knowledgeable. Probably why we went to three different tastings!

We also hung out in the arcade and played some games there. A little pricey, but fun once we got the hang of them.

The shore excursions we chose were SO GOOD! We swam with sea lions on St. Thomas and visited the Virgin Gorda Baths off of Tortola. Tortola was by far the most beautiful island and I wish we had had more time to enjoy it there.

Only thing my boyfriend and I hoped for were more activities on our back-to-back sea days for young adult couples like us to do. Most of the activities involved either sitting in the smokey casino, bingo, shuffleboard, or seminars that were overly sell-y. It was difficult to even find other people our age (late 20s) onboard. I would love to go on another cruise from NYC since we live here, but we wouldn't know what to do with all our time stuck on the ocean.

Overall, we had a lot of fun and really enjoyed our little escape!

Not enough fun/non-cheesy things to do for young adults without children. No semi-current movies or trendy/techy shopping. No binge-watching marathons or fun, high-endurance fitness classes. No age-cap on the clubs so we felt like we were dancing with chaperons (plus the light didn't turn very low in the Bliss Lounge). We didn't really know where to go on the sea days.
We don't have kids.

You can book shore excursions from your stateroom TV with your remote, which is very quick.

1 Comment