Norwegian Gem Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

We love to cruise!

Sail Date: March 18, 2015

The Norwegian Gem is a smaller ship, but seemed more difficult to find my way around. The biggest thing that I would ask is that they make available a small map of the ship to carry around. The signs by the elevators are helpful with which deck things are on, but it doesn't say whether it's fore or aft or midships so I still felt confused most of the time. The buffet was great, roomy, with lots of good selections with good food. I have to say that I am not a fan of "Freestyle Cruising"---I would rather have a set time for dinner in the dining room with the same table-mates and the same wait staff. I so enjoy getting to know everybody and the wait staff getting to know us and what we'd like (e.g. my husband always gets 2 escargots if it's on the menu, and I always have coffee with dessert and our wait staff would know that and bring it automatically.) It just feels more special. The dining rooms on the Gem felt like very high end restaurants, with that kind of good service, but not the intimacy of other ships' scheduled dining. Just my opinion. Our steward was exceptional, the bar tender that we got to know was excellent. All in all, a very good cruise.

I prefer scheduled dinng with the same table-mates and wait staff. Just more intimate.
The inside cabin on the Gem was smaller than any of the other inside cabins we've had, but still very comfortable.
New York, New York
I like to arrive at the port a day ahead and stay at a hotel so that 1) there is no panic if the plane is late or transportation to the terminal is difficult and 2) we are rested on the first day of the cruise and not tired from traveling already.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
The fort was really interesting to see. Want to go back and spend more time there.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
Our favorite island so far! Beautiful!
Philipsburg, St. Maarten
Also a beautiful island. Would like to see them all again.
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
Too short a time at this stop. They were also constructing some new piers and shops so didn't get to see much.

I always bring a battery operated alarm clock. I like to see what time it is when I wake up (especially in the night!) I also pack a small battery operated fan (desk top size) because we like to sleep very cool and often the air conditioning doesn't do it for us.