Don’t bother over crowded

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Norwegian Breakaway

7 Night Eastern Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)

Sail date: November 03, 2019

Ship: Norwegian Breakaway

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 12244

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

We left Miami Nov. 3 on the Breakaway. We booked with NCL after our last cruise out of New Orleans with NCL was one of the best cruises we had ever done. I went with just my wife for our 20th anniversary and my 40th birthday. Getting on went pretty smooth but quickly realized the service on the ship was very poor. My guess is the unlimited bar and prepaid gratuities takes away from the staff’s motivation to care about the cruisers. The entertainment was not good. I might call it decent if they didn’t make it such a pain to get into. They had larger venues they could have done comedy show or the karaoke in but crammed people into small spaces and locked out many. Similar with the events in the atrium or on the pool deck. It is a huge ship but very little room for entertainment. It felt like the ship was just designed to house a large number of people. The specialty dinning rooms were hard to book before the cruise and on the cruise and the staff was rude about it. All the restaurant staff was slow and only the matradee at the hibachi grill stood out as as good and the rest of the restaurant staff could have been brand new for all I know. In summary, I would never pay to go on the Breakaway again. I don’t if know if I’ll cruise again after this and that was my 9th cruise and cruising use to be my favorite type of vacation.

Embarkation

Went pretty smooth

Ship experiences

Main and specialty dining were ok. It was hard to get into the specialty dining and the menu was pretty much the same everyday.

Everything was over crowded. The dance shows were a waist of time and other entertainment didn’t provide space to actually enjoy it even if you could get in.

Some of the musicians were good but the stage shows were not.

My guess is with the unlimited drink package and prepaid gratuities the staff has no motivation. They were horrible it seemed like they told not to help cruisers unless they absolutely had to.

Horrible design. The ship has too many people or just too small of entertainment spaces. Way over crowded.

The room itself was good. Our attendant did nothing extra and often didn’t make are room up until around lunch time and we would leave it around 8am.

Ship tip

Try and get you money back or try to upgrade to the Haven.

Ports of call

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Tortola, British Virgin Islands

Disembarkation

Our flights were through NCL and my wife’s return flight was cancelled. It took a hours but they did get her a ticket. But not a relaxing end to a vacation.