Best trip ever

Nieuw Statendam Cruise Review

Cruises: 1 cruise (first)

Overall rating:

Nieuw Statendam

10 Night Mediterranean Mosaic (Rome Roundtrip)

Sail date: October 17, 2019

Ship: Nieuw Statendam

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 5150

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

We are now cruise people. Who knew. We will definitely do this again and only with Holland America. Experience of a lifetime.

Embarkation

Seamless

Ship experiences

We loved the lido deck and room service. We only ate in the dining area once but was fine, but actually prefer the selection on the lido deck more. Great options, lots of fruits and veggies. So delicious.

We came on this particular cruise for a quieter atmosphere and crowd. Loved the spa and spent a lot of time in vip soaking pool. Heaven.

Loved the quartet. I’m a violinist so they’re the reason we booked this cruise. Our first! Definitely not our last!!

Slow standing clap. The staff have to be the best in the industry. Absolutely incredible.

SOOOOOOOO CLEAN. THANK YOU!!

Beautiful view.

Ship tip

Don’t worry too much about excursions. It was our first cruise and I was freaked out and overwhelmed. We didn’t end up booking anything through the ship as we could do it all on our own for a FRACTION of the price. We researched the port a day in advance, watched their exc presentations and booked a tour or shuttle once off the bus.

Ports of call

Corfu, Greece

I’m surprised they let this city get so run down at parts, but I know Greece’s economy is struggling. Beautiful sites. The hop on, hop off bus here was everything we needed.

Santorini, Greece

Reason we booked the trip in the first place. One of the now best memories of my life. We walked from fira to oia on trail. Made it four hours before stopping for pizza and taking a taxi. Seriously unreal amazing.

Naples, Italy

I’m giving this port a five because of things to do around Naples. Naples itself, I actually hated. Went to Capri. Next time will do Pompeii or amalfi coast. Just beautiful. We did see the Veiled Christ, which was one of the most incredible pieces of art I’ve ever experienced. I cried nonstop. Still do when I think about it.

Katakolon (Olympia), Greece

What history. Just incredible. Buy a book. Don’t go to Olympia without a book.

Kotor, Montenegro

Charming city. We ended up hiring a driver to budva as this city was quite small saw both and loved it. Did not hike to fortress. Have no regrets.

Dubrovnik, Croatia

The dark horse we didn’t see coming. I LOOOOOOVED this port. Walked the wall. Ate the best gelato of my life and went kayaking. Best. Day. EVER.

Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy

Disembarkation

We disembarked first. Caught a 10 am flight from Rome. So easy. So organized.