Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Southern

Quality of food lacking

Sail Date: January 03, 2015

Last cruise on RC was 2002.  Food amazing.  One night the dinner was so bad that I had to return 2 dinners before I had one that was delicious.  They also cut out the midnight buffet.  Which I did not care about.  One of the nights their was a miniature buffet with delicious desserts and appetizers and had the feeling of the buffet they used to have.  The pastry chef was amazing.  Never had a dessert that was not amazing.  One of the desserts was like a symphony in your mouth.  I brought this to the attention of guest services.  I was advised that RC is building larger ships and that they needed to cut back somewhere.  Food was the place.  They also charged for soda.  You could get a drink package for $20 a day.  The organization for the excursions was not organized. When we were leaving the ship no one was their to direct us to where we should go.  We just asked people and followed others off of the ship.  We eventually found our way. Took a boat to St. John from st Thomas.  The tour was for 61/2 hours.  It took 1 hour each direction was not advised of this so that was an issue for use.  So we thought the decription of the details was lacking.  One thing that is good about booking an excursion with RC is that if you are late from your excursion they will not leave you behind.  So if you go to the island book a tour yourself and you are late RC will leave you behind. The charge  for taxis were outrages on the island of rouseau.  We were charged $50 for the taxis for both ways.  One thing that was good the driver waited for us

we did not feel safe on this island, that was also the feeling of a lot of the travelers.  We traveled to the volcanic island with a taxi driver Audrey she was nice.  Told us about the romance cafe and the chicken with cream sauce and island vegetables was delicious.  $12.00 for this lunch.  Worth it. Everything grown here is organic.  Also we did not have the option to have an early or late seating.  When we booked our cruise we were advised that we had my time dining, with that you are automatically charge the gradutity.  We had a waiter named Marvin and he always recommended what we should have for dinner.  He was almost always right.  Great service from him and his assistant.

Room was nice.
See review
Overall service great at dinner. Breakfast at buffet had to get my coffee and juice myself. Every morning I had the head waiter get me a china plate and coffee mug, because all they had was plastic plates and coffee mugs.
Some of the dancing shows were boring. Fell asleep was bored. Others shows were good.
Children's Programs No children were with us. Cannot comment.
Onboard Activities Was not on the ship during the day. Was on the islands more.
The guest services crew did not know much about what happened on the excursions.
Was tight when getting ready for dinner. You would get in each other's way. Other than that I thought was comfortable. Loved the balcony.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Loved the rain forest and bicycling to el morro. Very physical activity. Loved native food.
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas Took excursion to St. John. Last cruise went to Magen's bay. Nice beach. Trunk bay St. John must see.
Basseterre, St. Kitts
Went to cockelshell beach. Sea calmer near nude beach. Topless beach. So one side nude other side topless.
Roseau, Dominica See review
Bridgetown, Barbados Most beautiful water of all the islands that we visited.

Also charge for some of the exercise classes $12.00 for spin class. Did have other classes that were free. Their was not a lot of seafood for dinner or lunch. Being in the Caribbean you would think that their would be more seafood dishes. Only one night lobster night. Other nights $30.pp for l