Great Itinerary - but lots of sick passengers

Island Princess Cruise Review to Transatlantic

Contributor Level: Second Mate

19 Night Venetian Passage (Venice To Ft. Lauderdale)
Sail Date: November 06, 2015
Ship: Island Princess
Cabin Number: B314

We love the Med, and enjoyed the Island Princess. Unfortunately, there were a ton of passengers and staff that came down with colds and flu (NOT norovirus).  I developed a nagging cough the day we left the Azores for the 6 day Transatlantic Crossing, and did not attend dinners in the dining room or shows in the theater for those 6 days.  I used Dayquil and Nyquil to control my symptoms and didn't cough around other people - but everywhere I went, people were hacking. As I write this from home 3 days later, I still have a cold and cough.  My wife got a more severe cold as we were leaving the ship.  She developed body aches and a fever on our arrival at home.  I'm mad that other passengers didn't stay in their rooms when they were sick.  I just cancelled a 20 day cruise in February because I'm not going through this again.

Great cabin location

Don't do anytime dining on the Island Princess. They added several hundred people in the 2015 refurbishment when they took out the showroom in the aft and put in cabin - but they didn't expand the dining space, so the lines for anytime dining were often quite long. (We always have 1st seating.)