Crown Princess Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Alaska is magical and majestic

Sail Date: May 28, 2016

We chose to cruise with the Crown Princess specifically because of the connection to Stephen Schwartz (creator of Broadway's Wicked, Godspell and Pippin).   Mr. Schwartz wrote a 55 minute musical exclusively for 3 of Princesses cruise ships...including the Crown Princess.  The show, "Magic To Do," is mostly a collection of some of Stephen's greatest musical works from various shows along with magic...and impressive staging and costumes....with a very weak, bizarre storyline.  But the band was good....the singers were great...the dancing was exquisite...so it did feel like we were seeing something special.  We had two first time cruisers traveling with us....and the 72 year old said the shows were the favorite part of her cruise experience.   I think she also loved our Drink Steward, Jose, in the Michaelangelo Dining Room.   This was my 5th cruise....but because I had badly broken my leg just 4 weeks before the cruise....it was my first time to experience being on a cruise ship with mobility issues.   I was impressed with how 'accessible' the ship was for my electric scooter....and how willing they were to accommodate with a shower stool, toilet riser, etc.    My most favorite aspects of this cruise were:  The Voice of the Sea (similar to NBC's The Voice);  Steve Couette (the impromptu comedian); the majestic scenery during the cruise and in every port; seeing whales and sea otters and sea lions right from the ship and having an interior stateroom (albeit small) that accommodated 4 of us very well.

My biggest criticism....if I had any.....was the food was just okay.  Wasn't horrible....wasn't spectacular.  I thought the Trident Grill serving Burgers and Hot Dogs was actually one of the better offerings....along with the Pizza bar.    I also felt slighted as I auditioned for "The Voice of the Sea"....as singing / entertaining is one of the few things I still CAN DO with a badly broken leg.  I auditioned with the song "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" and had the audience rolling with laughter and people talking to me about what a great job I did in the halls all week long.  However, I didn't make it to the finals....and I'm assuming because there might have been a challenge with getting my scooter to the stage.  I don't know that for sure...but I was certainly one of the best auditions and I didn't make it.    I also thought the timing for some of the events was ill-timed.....like not enough time to get from one event to the other....or similar activities happening at the same time so you had to make hard choices.    I would have liked there to be better thought put into the planning of the daily schedule....cuz it often felt like there is not much happening for hours at a time....then everything you want to do is all happening at the same time.    Also....we felt cheated to have such short stops in Ketchikan....but especially in Victoria, Canada.

All in all....a very good cruise.  Great photos.  Good memories.

We were a little nervous having 4 of us (including me with a broken leg and an electric scooter) staying in a tiny interior stateroom....but found that the 2 twin beds on opposing walls with fold down top twin bunk beds from the wall worked just fine....and there was enough room to drive my scooter straight into the room and up between the two twin beds. It was tight quarters but nobody goes on a cruise ship for a 'roomy' room.
Really one of the most smooth embarkation and disembarkation process I've ever been through.