Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review to South Pacific - Australia

Celebrity not anywhere like it was

Sail Date: December 04, 2015

Cabin: 2015

If we hadn't cruised on Celebrity before, then our last cruise might have been totally satisfactory.  But the fact is, we have cruised on Celebrity many times before, where we have reached elite status on its loyalty program, as well as on three other cruiselines, and we preferred Celebrity because of its service, dining, entertainment, and general passenger make-up.  That Celebrity we knew is gone.

The food is bland, even in the specialty restaurants.  Other long-time Celebrity passengers on board had the same comment.  Service in the formal dining room is acceptable, but the flair that the experienced waiters had before is no longer there.  Even the formal nights had been eliminated.  The nightly entertainment in the theatre was for a much younger generation, the mature clientele that Celebrity is supposed to have.  My luggage was damaged on disembarkation, and that would not have been a big deal if only the Celebrity staff gave me the correct information in the first place.  But the fact is, a Celebrity official on shore during disembarkation told me to wait as a replacement would be given to me (which I found surprising as I did not think the ship would be carrying an inventory of luggage).  After over 30 minutes of waiting and wasting my time, another Celebrity staff came after I asked what was happening and told me to fill up a claim form, which did not take more than couple of minutes.  So what should have taken five minutes took 45 minutes.  Cruising on Celebrity is just no longer what it used to be.

On embarkation, I kept telling the staff we were elite but she kept sending us to the regular check-in line. On disembarkation, my luggage was damaged and the staff kept m for 45 minutes instead of the 5 minutes it would have taken if the staff knew what it was supposed to do in the first place.
We forgot a bag on the shore excursion bus in Dunedin. We would have thought that the driver would have checked the bus after the passengers had gone and given any items left to a Solstice lost and found staff. But that was not the case. I would have thought that something like this would have been standard operating procedure, but it is not.