Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Third Mate

Great entertainment but overall not as good as other crusies I've been on

Sail Date: July 04, 2014

My family and I just returned from our cruise vacation on the Celebrity Solstice. It was a good vacation overall with some small disappointments.

The best part about this specific cruise was the entertainment. The shows and performances were amazing. "Solstice the Show" and "The Ghost Light" were two amazing performances; the on-board performance group did a great job singing, dancing, and with the acrobatics. Further, the talks by Brent Nixon were enlightening and comical, he is a great host for this specific cruise. And my family and I liked the Rockstar Juggler Mike Price and especially liked Jason Bishop for his amazing performance, he was really funny and his act was well conceived and executed. Overall with all these performances our entire family was entertained and delighted; my son even wishes to have Jason perform at his school!

The other great thing about this cruise was the room and room service. We had the stateroom with the balcony, and it was a great place to kick back between activities. The balcony is spacious and offered great views during the trips through the passages. The on-board entertainment included a nice selection of free movies and kids programming so that the entire family was satisfied. Further, the room service was excellent. We were on floor 6 and our room host Arun was amazing; he not only kept the room immaculate, but every time we saw him in the hallway he was super friendly and was a joy to converse with.

The last thing that we really enjoyed was the Solarium, which was basically an indoor pool. This is amazing as normally the pool is useless on the Alaskan cruises due to the weather, but this pool was nice at all times of the day and night, even in the cold Alaskan climate. However, the issue with the pool was that you had to be 16 or older to use it besides the 1 hour family time from 4:00 to 5:00pm, and during that time it was full of little kids. My son

Some of the disadvantages of this cruise compared to other cruises I've been on was the buffet. The variety was really lacking for this buffet, and about half the stuff wasn't good. I liked the fish, Indian buffet and soups, but some of the meats and salads sections were lacking and not tasty. The cookies were horrible; I was expecting the nice larger deli style cookies but found the cheap, small, hard ones instead. Further, the drinks were cheap "cocktail mix" (I saw them filling it once) no-name stuff that were not very good; to get the good beverages you had to pay something like $8.00 per day + gratuity, which is too expensive compared to how much we put into the cruise already. The Norwegian Pearl had fresh apple and orange juice in the mornings and I was expecting similar on this cruise but was definitely let down.

The main restaurant on the ship "The Grand Ephany" was nice and had really good selections, but could get pretty crowded. The Alaskan Salmon dish that is always on the menu is really great and was always enjoyable when the rotating dish wasn't as good. The only issue was that the wait times could get bad; I'd recommend getting the select dining to be able to schedule any times as due to times at port it was easier to eat early some nights, and later others.

Some of the other disadvantages were the overall ship layout. The Solstice being a newer ship had a high rating for the actual ship. However, I found it to be lacking in many areas. For instance, the Norwegian Pearl had a really nice deck on level 7 with shuffle board courts. The only deck on the Solstice was really for maintenance; sure it was accessible but there was nothing there and it didn't have a view. The Pearl also had this really fun lounge room in the back of the ship with bowling, some arcade games and a couple lounge areas with couch beds. The lounges in the Solstice were more basic and didn't offer as much entertainment.

Overall I'd rate this about a 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5.

No mid-level decks with shuffleboard courts like Pearl; no exciting lounge area.
Breakfast was great. Provided drinks were cheap and not very tasty, buffet overall wasn't as good and didn't have as much variety as I would have liked.
Service and Staff Amazing! Arun our room manager was super friendly, and kept our room really clean. He might be the hardest working person on the ship, and he made it enjoyable to come back to our stateroom for some relaxation.
Loved "Solstice the Show", "The Ghost Light", Brent Nixon, Mike Price and Jason Bishop. This was by far the best part of the cruise.
Children's Programs Didn't partake so cannot really review accurately.
Gppd as expected.
Nice as expected.
The deck was great, and Arun kept it really clean. We had a great time relaxing in the stateroom.
Seattle, Washington
Home port so I know it well.
Ketchikan, Alaska
Amazing place to walk. Take the free shuttle to the fish hatchery or take a small walk there and take the shuttle back. And don't forget to buy some salmon from the market in town!
Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska
Not as good views as the glacier from the Pearl's route, but still nice and it was fun to have it narrated by Brent Nixon. Too early in the morning though.
Juneau, Alaska
Good shopping, and some good activities like riding up to the top of the mountain on the sky lift.
Skagway, Alaska
This is a small little town with not much to do. The train ride is too long and expensive but there is not much else to do in this town.
Cruise Inside Passage, Alaska
Good views as expected.
Victoria, British Columbia
I love Victoria and like to travel here with my car for vacation. The small time in port isn't really enough to explore this city.

1 Comment