Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review to Alaska - Gulf of Alaska

A horrible experience with Celebrity!

Sail Date: July 31, 2015

I have taken 4 cruise vacations, Norwegian in 2010, Carnival in 2013, Princess in 2014 and this one, Celebrity in 2015. I have to say the Celebrity is the worst among all!

The experience at the Guest Service desk gave me the first bad feeling. The ladies on the other side of the desk never had a smile on their faces, no greetings and no “thanks” and “good buys”. They kept the same way all over the entire sail.

I booked a balcony stateroom and an internal cabin. To my big surprise, people of internal cabin can NOT eat in the same dining room with the people who purchased balcony staterooms. If I and my wife want to dine with my daughter, we have to eat in the lower level dining room! My daughter said this is just like Tantalic, the poor cannot seat together with the rich!

I purchased a 7-day un-limited on board internet access for $198. Over the 7 days, 75% of the time I couldn’t log into the account. If I was lucky enough gained access to the server, the speed was very slow.

The breakfast and lunch options in the buffet dining room were never changed over the 7 days sail, 90% of the foods were horribly salty. The after hour food had very limited choices. There was no food after 1:00 AM. A good comparison to other cruise ships.

The ship is badly maintained. We experienced at least 5 times of elevator malfunctions. The elevator doesn’t stop at the desired level or skip the level or travel up/down without stop. One evening a loud noise came to the stateroom that we had to be moved to an empty room to get a peace of sleep. The next day we were given an option to sleep in a different room because they could not find the source of the noise.

The crew is badly trained that the room service people opened our room without knocking 3 times when we were still inside. Twice my wife was still in bed. There was no “no disturbing” door tag in the room. After I asked, the room service gave me one to avoid further embarrassing.

Not like other cruise ships, there were no free movies. You need to pay for the newer movies. The satellite TV for the free news channels was badly served. Program was frequently interrupted. The satellite tracking system is so common and less expensive nowadays. I don’t know why Celebrity cannot afford to install a better system.

If I have to say something good for this cruise experience, it is the stateroom furniture. It is nicely designed and well maintained.

Overall, this was a bad experience with Celebrity. I’ll definitely not take any cruise trip with Celebrity and not recommend to friends.

But the crew is badly trained that the room service people opened our room without knocking 3 times when we were still inside. Twice my wife was still in bed. There was no “no disturbing” door tag in the room. After I asked, the room service gave me one to avoid further embarrassing.

My suggestion is not to take it!