Packing

Going on my first cruise soon, and i would like to know, what are some of the most essential items to bring on a Caribbean cruise?

18 Answers

I pack the same as for a land vacation - a couple of bathing suits since they dry so slowly in the ocean air, cover-up, mix and match tops/capris/shorts so numerous outfits can  be made from few clothes. A couple of dresses for dinners, sandals, comfy shoes for day and evening, and basic necessities like makeup for evening, first aid kit, chargers for electronics, extra memory for our camera, sunscreen.....

DON’T.....

pack valuables, medicines, or your passport in your checked luggage.

The only real essentials are your boarding pass, your passport and your significant other.

Anything else can be bought in port or on board.

For a shorter cruise, make sure you have enough clothing for the appropriate number of days. Remember that many outfits may be worn more than once. For longer trips, cut your clothing amount since all ships have a laundry. You only need, at most, 3 pairs of shoes -- flip-flops, walking shoes and dress shoes.

Only one formal outfit is needed, and only if you want to - most formal nights have been dumbed down to business casual. Lastly, medication and toiletries - but try to go for the travel sizes.

Unless of course your significant other needs to be inflated, then by all means, fold her / him up and put them in checked luggage.

Since the OP didn't state that she was doing it (the cruise) solo, I assumed she had a live partnerBig Smile

You will not need to pack a towel. For me a camera is essential and consider the size of the memory card. You may want a spare. Chargers for phones, cameras etc and some also pack a power strip since most cabins have only 1 plug. Make sure the power stick is not surge suppressed. Most cruise lines do not allow those. Pack a smile and a good attitude and just enjoy the ride.

I’ve heard some are quite life-like

1.  In a carry on bag pack,   passport, cruise doc's,  RX,  OTC meds,  change of under garments (in case luggage late to your cabin) and swim wear for the first afternoon.  Pack all valuables in carry on bag (jewelry, camera,  lap top, reader...ect...)

2.  Pack an extension cord with multi outlet end,  cabins only have one or two plugs in them,  if you pack a power strip it can not have a breaker in it.

3.  The ship will have hand soap,  shampoo and body wash in your cabin.  If your not picky no need to pack that stuff.

4.  Pack clothing,  not outfits.  Make sure everything mix and match so you can pack light.

5.  Pre-cruise order a case of water to your cabin,  this way it is only $7.00 and not 1 dollar a bottle.

Have a great first cruise and welcome to the addiction Big Smile

The best thing I can say about packing is whatever you plan to pack cut in half and you will be find. If you have a 7 night cruise you do not need 7 outfits for night 3 is fine, maybe change a top or how combined.  Have a great trip.

Bring 50 SPF suntan lotion, a big hat and perhaps aqua shoes in case there are rocks on the bottom of the water.  Remember even on cloudy days you can burn.  The sun is very strong down there. 

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.