Hotel for February 2022? So many are already sold out -- is this common?

I started looking around to see what I could get with my Hilton, Choice or Marriott points. I noticed that a TON of hotels in the area are already sold out. Seriously? Is this common, or did we just pick a busy weekend?

We are looking at places in Plantation or Sunrise, but will the cab be too expensive? Anyone have experience with this area, or maybe there are other affordable locations (under $150 for the few hours we will be at the hotel) in nice hotels?

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Tags: Florida Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades)

25 Answers

Not sure what caused this to get bumped up from 8 months ago...might've been spam or a glitch...but either way...I agree with MASSEBA, it IS an interesting read...you want hotel reservations??? substitute the date of your cruise for the FEB 22 in the title....key is once you decide to cruise on such-and-such a date, lots of things have to fall into place...air, motels, parking, and kaff kaff covid stuff....DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!

This is really interesting to read. What a great forum.

Thought I'd update this thread...we tried to get a reservation in Galveston for our on 11/27/21, about a month+ ago, same story as above...computer thought it was sold out, but the owner hadn't updated that far in advance. Took my name and offered to call us when he did. Same day, made another reservation same major chain, in Texas City, mebbe 25min further away....81+ tax...(THEIR computer had no problem taking a reservation) well......couple weeks ago, went online and checked the one that was on Galveston Island...they must've just opened their reservations, wanted 130+tax..(no call)...laffed, and forgot all about it...got two phone calls yesterday and today, clerk there "found" a sticky with my name on it, offered to make a reservation...silly me...I told her we made one 20-25minutes away for $81...if you can come within a few bux of it I'll gladly stay on the island....I'm as lazy as the next guy....yukyuk,,,she looked, said the rate was NOW $166+tax!!!!!!....told her have a nice day......then went and looked at the one I had booked...yep.....STILL $81!!!......

whats it mean????.....well...some businesses near ports are gearing up for the summer, or cruising, whichever happens first...and .....wait for it......DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!

OPUS....Thats exactly it....each of these so called "chains" are chains in name only...they're individually owned and operated...and those owners even set their own prices....and accept "future" reservations when they're ready to "program the computer" and not before...so folks get the idea they're sold out....,,,,,,,,,,,

I attempted to book the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina for December 23-24, 2021 as a surprise for my wife(We've stayed there 3 times. She absolutely loves it) and it is currently showing zero availability, which is VERY odd for that particular property. I was also able to book another property for prior to our December cruise, so it seems to be a property by property basis.

I also attempted to book a hotel for March 25-27, 2022 in the Miami area, and according to Booking.com, 87% of the properties are not available.

I have a feeling some of these properties may be not accepting reservations until 8 months or so out.

Possible...but I CAN tell you we have had this problem with HOLIDAY INNS and BEST WESTERN...when we book a cruise way in advance (to get the date/cabin we want etc) we usually try to book a motel at the same time..The so-called "reservations clerks" who answer their 800#'s will tell you its sold out...but from experience I can definitely tell y'all they're NOT...again, you need to call the motel direct and speak to someone at the desk and specifically ASK if its actually sold out or just they can't process reservations that far in advance....

As an aside, when we see an md or our eye dr or our dentist, if the next appointment is 6 mos+ in the new year out, they can't process it...Bet they all use the same software program to handle this stuff...they wind up using stickies...and we of course have to keep track of it to make sure it actually gets entered properly..

Part of that may be due to the pent-up need to travel since COVID.

I have found that many Hotels do not book more than 10.5 to 11.5 months in advance, especially when booking through Expedia, Travelocity, or Booking.com

As for proximity, if it is 2-4 of us in our group, and, for example we were sailing from Miami, we would stay in Fort Lauderdale(cheaper rates for small groups), and take an Uber or book a private shuttle.

We had one nightmare experience in Miami where my Wife booked the Hotel Harrison for her, myself and her sister...10/10 would not recommend. Ive stayed in some pretty nasty places in this country, and in other countries, and that place is damned near the top.

Back on topic. groups of 3 couples or more, we'll stay right in miami, and book a private shuttle.

We also get cheaper flights from Ft Lauderdale, at least prior to Pandemic we did. Maybe Southwest will start direct BUF-MIA flights once this all blows over...

We've stayed close and far away. We prefer closer because the taxi fare is less. But have found that sometimes having a nicer place before the sailing makes for a less stressful boarding the next day. Being from Colorado, 15 miles isn't far. However, when we lived in New Hampshire 15 miles seemed an unusually long way away. Decide what transportation to the hotel and to to the port you plan to take. Check into the cost and decide from there. We used Uber the time we were farther away (splitting the cost with friends). Good luck.

Agree with AUNTIE...happens all the time...not a glitch, but they havent put up their prices that far out yet...it looks sold out but its just the opposite...fact is NOBODY can make a reservation online or even direct yet...strongly suggest you CALL the location you might be interested in and speak to someone at the desk.(avoid the usual 800#) they can't plug in a reservation yet either, but if you ASK them if its their reservation system not "going that far out yet" you'll see what I mean...Ive found 2 locations in the same city just a few miles apart from the same chain...one can make a reservation, the other can't....just did exactly that in Galveston.....mgr claims he'll call me to let me know when they can make reservations that far out....meantime I made one just down the road....

*Cruiseline.com is not a booking agent or travel agency, and does not charge any service fees to users of our site. Our partners (travel agencies and cruise lines) provide prices, which we list for our users' convenience. Cruiseline.com does not guarantee any specific rates or prices. While prices are updated daily, please check with the booking site for the exact amount. Cruiseline.com is not responsible for content on external web sites.