Our Alaskan Cruise on Holland America

Westerdam Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

Contributor Level: Third Mate

7 Night Alaskan Explorer With Glacier Bay (Seattle Roundtrip)
Sail Date: September 24, 2016
Ship: Westerdam

We loved our cruise.  It was my first and I had always wanted to visit Alaska, so it was a win-win.  I chose Holland America because it was a smaller vessel which meant a smaller crowd.  The process of getting on board and disembarking during the cruise and at the end was smooth as silk.  I wish the airlines would take note!  The crew and staff could not have been nicer, more friendly, or eager to help.  There was not a moment we didn't feel well taken care of.  There was so much to do and yet my husband and I were perfectly satisfied to sit up on the Observation Deck, watch the Alaskan countryside go by, enjoy chatting with new friends and having a cocktail.  The food was excellent, we loved our dinner companions, and the portion sizes were perfect. We didn't feel as though we were gaining the weight you hear about gaining on a cruise, except for the wonderful cocktails available, and we plan on doing this cruise again one day.  It was glorious and we were made to feel glorious every minute of every day.  The shore excursions were perfect and the ship was the icing on the cake.  Holland America, I don't believe you could have done anything any better.  You have this down to a science!  Thank you.

Loved the portions. I didn't feel as though I was gorging on food. Thank you!! This way I had room for a cocktail!!! Food was wonderful.

A lot was available, but we spent the bulk of our time on the wonderful Observation Deck making new friends, enjoying the view, and having a cocktail.

My husband and I simply went to the BB King bar every evening, listened to a fabulous group and danced to our heart's content.

We had no children.

The two who took care of us and our room were incredible. Loved the little figures waiting on our bed in the evening. Joe and Slamet were perfect and deserve a raise. They couldn't have worked harder to please.

The ship shows some signs of wear, but is obviously well taken care of and had so much to offer. We loved it. Keep it afloat!!

Yes, there was no window. Was it missed? Not really. We simply left the bathroom light on with the door shut each night and enough light came through so that we didn't feel we were shut up in a cave. The room was delightful and such a perfect size. The bathroom could not have been any better, in our estimation.

Be prepared for the time of your life. It was wonderful.

Dress warmly for standing on the decks to watch as glaciers come into view. It was fantastic! Bring your cameras out with you. Ask questions if you see a spot you would rather stand for viewing. You will be told if you can get there. Worked for us.
We opted for staying on board and had a lovely time. It was evening when we arrived, so we decided to simply remain on the ship. Glad we did.