Sapphire Princess Cruise Review to Alaska - Inside Passage

A Rookie's View

Sail Date: August 21, 2011

In seeing other ships, it was obvious that the Sapphire Princess was what I would call upper middle class, but for a first-timer that was alright. The port calls for this particular trip were excellent, although I got a bit tired of the "diamond hawking". The balcony suite we had was a perfect size for two people and afforded excellent views and quiet/private time when needed. I really liked the casual/laid back ambiance of the cruise. Would definitely do a cruise again.

Pros: The Food & Folks I met

Cons: The unexpected VERY short Port Call in Victoria

Recommends Sapphire Princess? Yes!

I personally didn't take advantage of the "activities" as this was a defusing time for me - although the one entertainment venue I thoroughly enjoyed was the crew's talent show.
We dined "traditional" and really liked it. It afforded predicability with a set time to meet with our fellow travellers and the same wait staff. The food overall was what I would call average/outstanding. The wine list was a wee bit limited but overall - EXCELLENT.
Clean, roomy and plenty of storage (which surprised me). Tastful decor and maximum use of limited space. Our location (Caribe Deck) was perfect in that there was a bit of an overhang which was wonderful on rainy days.
Here's where the Sapphire Princess shone ! Attentive without being obtrusive, appropriately charming & congenial and took the time for personal touches that, given the number of cabins our steward was assigned, was amazing!
Juneau, Alaska
Our docking area was not "ship convenient". One of my fellow travellers did the Tram and marvelled at the views.
Ketchikan, Alaska
Of all the ports this was the most "ship convenient". Charming city with a wonderful atmosphere. Loved the working port feel of the city - The Artic Bar was a HOOT !!!!!
Don't Miss: Artic Bar - if you want a feel for what the working folks' side of Ketichikan is like this is a
Victoria, British Columbia
This port call was advertised as 1600 - 2359....it didn't arrive until 1900 and didn't afford enough time for what we had hoped for - hence we cancelled two (2) excursions.....
Skagway, Alaska
Of all the ports, Skagway was the most "less touristy" (if that's a word). While not "ship convenient", Skagway offered yet another feel for everyday Alaska and the shopping was much more diverse. Nice galleries.
Don't Miss: White Pass Railway - definite "Must Do" !