Not worth the money or the time
Quantum of the Seas Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern
Sail Date: March 21, 2015
Cabin Type: Balcony
Cabin Number: 7558
Traveled As: Large Group
Reviewed: 2 years ago
Check-in process took over an hour (not counting time spent at home on pre-registration and on-line check-in). We had to literally "hunt" the attendant to admit us and after standing in three lines just to see each of the attendants leave to "take care of something else", we had to request supervisor assistance to finally let us in. This is pretty much how things went for the rest of the cruise:
- key for the suite not working on boarding day; we could not get into our room for over an hour (we were sitting with all of our luggage and the upset child outside of the room all this time). Multiple calls and requests for assistance later, my husband had to come down to customer service and start yelling for someone to let us into our room.
- our pre-purchased bathrobes and slippers were lost and delivered only on day 5 (after multiple calls to housekeeping and customers service with promises to deliver them "right away" each day)
- pre-purchased water doodle toy for our child never delivered (we were told that it "shouldn't have been sold" and that they no longer carry this item)
- pre-requested mini-fridge not working, new one brought-in after multiple calls to maintenance
- on-board activities seriously lacking (compared to other RC ships). This was our first cruise where both kids were wining because there was nothing to do
- entertainment limited to 3 decent shows we had to book months in advance (many others on board could not get them reserved and were left with nothing, so we were "lucky"), the rest of the evenings were spent watching movies
- cruise ports of call adjusted to only 1 morning in Haiti and 1 evening in Puerto Rico (9 day cruise), both kids and adults extremely disappointed
- food was terrible in most restaurants (we ended-up requesting everything on the menu in hopes that a couple of the items may be edible)
- pool area swamped with people (considering that there's nothing else to do), so my parents had to reserve spaces at 6:00 AM each morning
- water in the cabin, outside of the cabin and in public areas smelled like fish. I'm not sure what was causing this, but suspect it has to do with the filtration system (never had this type of experience on other ships).
- Noro virus break-out on day 3 of the cruise, gradually getting worse by day 9. Thankfully, our family wasn't impacted as we were washing hands (and forcing kids to wash) like lunatics. However, I suspect that kitchen/restaurant staff may have been the source of this on Quantum. This is after I noticed a number of waiters cut fruit or make tea w/out gloves on (and them proceeding to throw things into trash and never washing their hands)
- I was put-off
- heavy emphasis on making you pay extra every way you turn, though out the cruise
- last, but not least, do everything possible to avoid Port Liberty, NJ. We were disembarking in 32F weather and security does not let you wait for your car inside. Everyone is forced outside (rain or shine; kids or no kids) and one of the security guards told us that she "could care less" that my child was already coughing as it "wasn't her fault".
Apologies, but I have nothing good to report about this cruise experience.
Food and Dining
Service and Staff
Cabin / Stateroom
Stay as far away as you can