Norwegian Sun Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Great staff and entertainment/ food was disappointing/awesome ports

Sail Date: March 08, 2015

Overall, I found this cruise to be quite enjoyable.

PROS: The entertainment in the evenings was excellent. The staff on board ship were all wonderful. I had read a number of reviews about the ship looking dated; however, this was not my experience. This ship is one of NCL's smallest; my family and I found this to be a plus. The only thing we missed (sort of) was a slide. The ports of call were all spectacular, and we were given ample time in each port, often we arrived earlier than predicted.

CONS: We were on Deck 4 aft. On a number of occasions there was a very strong smell of sewage. Fortunately it was not in our room, but going up the back staircase or using the elevator required some breath holding. Fortunately, this didn't happen too many times. Although the evening entertainment was excellent, there was a lack of things to do in the mid afternoon. My biggest disappointment was the food at dinner. I have cruised many times with Carnival and have been "wowed" many times by the excellent starters, entrees, and desserts. The food on the Sun was never bad, but nothing that I ate struck me as excellent. On formal nights, I expected a higher-end entree, such as surf and turf. There was no such offering. Neither were there any shrimp starters. The payoff of all this is that I didn't gain any weight on the cruise.

Children's Programs Not applicable
Waffles for breakfast (yes!)
Did not feel cramped with 3 adult women in this cabin.
Cy (inside Sports bar) is the best.
Singers and dancers were superb! Comedian (Tim Kyminski) was hysterical.
Afternoon activities were lacking.
Belize - do cave tubing; Costa Maya - go to the ruins; Don't miss the Cozumel Bar Hop (private company)
Tampa, Florida
Roatan (Isla Roatan), Bay Islands, Honduras
Find "The Original Edward" and have him drive you around the island.
Belize City, Belize
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
Register ahead of time to do the Cozumel Bar Hop (they have a Facebook page). Best excursion ever!

Don't miss the Observation room on Deck 12. It is tucked away and we didn't find it until the second to the last day - it is a lovely space. Best bar on deck is the Sports Bar; our bartender, Cy, was fantastic. If you want to get great photos, seek out Vladamir.

1 Comment