Better than I expected

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Contributor Level: Third Mate

7 Night Western Caribbean (Tampa Roundtrip)
Sail Date: December 07, 2014
Ship: Norwegian Sun

I'm 88 years old and have cruised over 30 times, but not in the last decade because of illness in my household.  My experience is with traditional cruising where you have an assigned seating time with the same waiter every day who remembers your tastes and caters to you.  I wasn't sure I'd like Freestyle Cruising.  But the Sun was a really nice surprise.  The waiters and all crew members were so friendly and nice.  They took great care of me and I couldn't have had a better time.  The food was delicious and the shows were top notch.  I really liked the lounge entertainment because they had some performers that played the kind of music I like.  I thought the ship was beautiful and comfortable.

The one change from past years that I didn't like was that so many things cost extra now.  A visit to the doctor costs $105 and they charge now to eat in many of the restaurants.  When you add up the beverages, shore excursions, and tips, your final bill can be a real shock.  Not like the old days!  But I was glad to be able to cruise once again and I would definitely return to the Norwegian Sun if I get the chance.

I wish they had a movie theater.

The little table fits into the closet if you need space to store a walker or wheelchair.

There is more than one buffet on Deck 11 besides the Garden Café. Much of the same breakfast food was served around the corner in Moderno, including omelet & waffle stations. It was so much less crowded in there that the omelet chef remembered my exact preferences and it was easy to get a table.

The city tour and boat ride was manageable with a walker. The guides were very helpful to me.
I liked the high speed airboat. It was a lot of fun and not a problem with the walker.
We booked our own island tour with Last Minute Tours near the dock. It was excellent.
A custom taxi tour was very affordable and was much easier than a bus tour when walking is a problem.