Norwegian Sun Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Scenes from a Movie!

Sail Date: March 11, 2007

We had sailed with NCL's Pride of Aloha last year and were not impressed at all. I wasn't even sure I wanted to sail NCL again, but because of the ports they offered with this cruise, we took a chance. I'm glad we did - the ship was well maintained and clean. All the employees were polite and helpful. The stateroom was a pleasant surprise as well. The bathroom was bigger than we have experienced on past cruises and the shower was wonderful, with lots of pressure and hot water. We were so pleased with the food at the Seven Seas that we did not even try any of the speciality restaurants. I traveled with a group of 7 other people, but that wasn't a problem; we were always seated quickly. The shows were entertaining and professional. We especially liked the Jean Ann Ryan shows. One night we enjoyed the music in the Observation Lounge - a selection of big band sounds, followed by a tribute to Patsy Cline.

Pros: the beaches at Cozumel

Cons: the bumpy road on the way to Altun Ha

Recommends Norwegian Sun? Yes!

Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
I enjoyed the day, but we really didn't do a lot except walk up and down the beach at the little fishing village close to the port.
Don't Miss: The Spanish dancers at the port area.
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
Don't Miss: The Spanish dancers at the port area.
Santo Tomas De Castilla, Guatemala
We normally do not sign up for the ship sponsored excursions. We usually travel with at least six other people and we find that we do better on our own. At Santo Tomas, we took a Happy Fish boat tour to an ancient castle. The castle itself was a let-down - it was only a "drive-by" because of time constraints. But the trip itself was breathtaking. I felt like I was riding through a very beautiful movie! This island is surprising because there are so few roads. Most of the people that live there get around by boat. We stopped in the small town of Livingston, which really gives you an idea of how people live there. We witnessed several women washing their clothes at the outdoor laundry, which consists of several concrete sinks. Caution: the few bathrooms are primitive and the boat ride is long. We felt like it was well worth it.
Don't Miss: Be sure to indulge yourself by purchasing some of the beautiful textiles and jade jewelry at the port.
Cozumel has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world! We rented two Jeeps and took off for sightseeing around the island. After stopping several times and walking on the beaches, we visited the lighthouse at Punta Sur. We walked up the 150+ steps in the heat, but I'm so glad we did. The view and the breeze from the top were wonderful. Caution: there is a very small hole to crawl through at the top. If you are a big person or have claustrophobia, you may not want to try doing this.
Don't Miss: If you like shopping, this is the place. The jewelry and ceramics are beautiful!
Belize City, Belize
We hired a van and driver to take us the ruins of Altun Ha and give us an overview of Belize City. It was awesome to climb up on those ancient temples, knowing that very few people had seen the sights that I was viewing. Caution: the ride is long and very bumpy, but our guide did tell us that Belize has a road improvement project scheduled for the next two years.
Santo Tomas De Castilla, Guatemala