Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Europe - Mediterranean

Perfect itinerary to see the best of the Mediterranean!

Sail Date: May 19, 2015

This cruise proved to be a wonderful way to see many of the best places of southern Europe. Starting in Barcelona was the perfect way to get your feet wet to the European lifestyle, then traveling to France, Italy, Greece and Turkey was historical, beautiful and interesting. It would be difficult to go to all these places in one trip if you were on your own, so this cruise was a great way to see so much! I was especially excited that this trip included Turkey (Istanbul and Ephesus), and I was not disappointed! I felt safe knowing that all my belongings were safe on the ship and it was such a relief to visit Europe and have most of the logistical details planned for me.

I've been on several Caribbean cruises in the past with Holland America Line, so this was a pretty new experience. In comparison to Holland America, the food in the main dining room and buffet (the places included with your cruise fare price) was not excellent, but still good. Because we picked this trip for the ports of call, the food was a bit of a trade-off.

The food in the main dining room and the buffet (the places where you don't have to pay extra to eat) I would probably rate a 6 out of 10. The dining room was nice but by the end of the cruise we were bored with the options. The buffet was hit or miss (mostly miss) because the food was either cold or had an unappetizing appearance.
Most of the entertainment was really great! The only one we didn't like was a very cheesy and predictable magic show.
Many options for excursions made it easy to do exactly what we wanted in each city.
Barcelona, Spain
We got there 2 days early to have time to explore on our own. I would highly recommend doing that.
Toulon, France
I was pleasantly surprised by this stop. We went on a tour that visited Marseilles and Aix en Provence, which was perfect.
Livorno (Florence & Pisa), Italy
Went on a tour that went to Florence and Pisa. I would have liked to see more of Florence, but you have to get that iconic photo with the leaning tower!
Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
Took a tour here that went into the Colosseum and explored the city.
Naples, Italy
I was pleasantly surprised by this stop. We went on a tunnel tour and ate pizza - perfect!
Mykonos, Greece
Not much to do here, but still beautiful and relaxing.
Istanbul, Turkey
Such a historic, beautiful city! Definitely make sure you see Hagia Sofia!
Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey
Piraeus (Athens), Greece
Be prepared for long lines and huge crowds, whether you are on a tour or not.
Venice, Italy

Try to eat in the main dining room for breakfast instead of the buffet. They have the same food, but you don't have to deal with the mass chaos of finding a table and eating cold eggs and pancakes.