Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

Boat is old

Sail Date: August 14, 2011

The ship is older. I would not recommend it if you expect a clean stateroom. Knowing this I would not go on Spirit again.

Pros: Intimate

Cons: Dirty - it is older and needs a deep clean.

Recommends Norwegian Spirit? No.

The ship is older so not clean and needs a deep clean, especially the bathrooms. They need to do something about their closet doors. The ship rocks and the doors would slide back and forth all night long. Really hard to sleep - we had to put shoes to stop the doors from sliding, but the walls are so thin. Even though we prevented ours from sliding back and forth - our neighbors didn't so we heard theirs all night long.
Food is really mediocre. You have to pay for any food that is outside the basics. The sushi restaurant on board was awful. It was worst than Costco sushi. I expected a little more when I had to pay additional.
NCL charges a $12 a day tip per person, which means that the staff does not have to work to get their tips. There are a few who were really nice, but with most of the staff they were tolerant, not nice. I felt like I was bothering them when I asked for help, especially the dinning staff.
NCL's entertainment is average. Nothing really special. One thing I did not expect was the constant selling before the shows. You go to the show expecting to relax and have a good time. However, once they get you in the door you are stuck listening to them everytime for 15 mins about so lottery ticket sell or something else. It was constant time share selling. Sucks.
Stateroom really needs a deep clean. Bathroom is gross. The grout is dirty and moldy. There were food crumbs on the floor from the previous guests.
Coxen Hole, Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras
The beaches are really beautiful. Watch out for pushy tour guides with taxi drivers. They will charge $20 per person for all day taxi but the guide will follow you all day. This was annoying for me since I did not care to have a stranger hang out with me all day. We were really nice to him and bought him food and beer all day. He somehow thought that since we were nice - it was ok to try to take advantage of us. Just beware.
Belize City, Belize
Cave tubing was great. Don't book through NCL - they charge $120 per person. We got through the company directly on port for $45 per person. They were great and less crowded and the experience is more personally.
Rent a scooter and drive around the island. People are really nice and it is very safe. Scooter rents for $25. You can't get lost because there is only one road around the island. Disembark early. Drive to Playa Bonita for a dip and then to the ruins.
Costa Maya (Mahahual), Mexico
Not too much to see here. Beach is nice and fish tacos and $2 beer is pretty great.