Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review to Caribbean - Western

First time on the Norwegian Jewel

Sail Date: January 03, 2015

Compared to 15 other cruises this was a nice medium sized ship, 10 years old and still in good shape.  One of the nicest (but small) interior cabins I've ever had.  I didn't realize it was so far from the Airport to the cruise port (about a 45 minute/mile drive on the $180 Norwegian shuttle, or about $200 by taxi) with not the best scenery I've ever seen, mostly oil refineries from the airport to the cruise dock and back.  The cruise itself went well, great weather and excursions in Cozumel and Belize, and some rain at the picturesque new port (Trujillo) in Honduras, looks like Bali.  The food was ok, not the greatest I've ever had (no lobster, the duck and escargot were off my taste) but certainly ok, especially the Australian rack of lamb, and the service was very good.  What was the best part was the killer price for the cruise, made up for any other shortcomings, and all-in-all, well worth it, one of the best cruise vacation values ever.  The Cozumel dune buggy/snorkel excursion booked through was probably the best excursion I've ever had on the now 16 cruises, 5 things to do in one package for a very low price, a terrific value.  I'm glad we went on this one.

Houston, Texas
One of the least attractive port cities I've ever been in.
See our comment about the excursion there. The place has changed a lot in the 22 years we've been cruiseing and been there.
Belize City, Belize
The city itself isn''t so hot and lots of tourist traps in the port area. The excursion snorkeling on the barrier reef was very good.
Trujillo, Honduras
Very Third World, but a very beautiful setting with cloud shrouded volcano and greenery excending right down to the beaches.

I've had both inside and outside staterooms, and since we spend so little time in the stateroom except for sleeping an inside is just fine, is less expensive, and stays dark to let you sleep in which we did a lot!