Greek islands

Norwegian Jade Cruise Review

Cruises: 7+ cruises

Overall rating:

Norwegian Jade

7 Night Greek Isles (Athens Roundtrip)

Sail date: September 12, 2021

Ship: Norwegian Jade

Cabin type: Balcony

Cabin number: 9674

Traveled as: Couple

Review summary

The ship had a lot less passengers than a normal cruise.This was good in many ways but at times felt a little like a ghost ship. The staff were great, friendly courteous and eager to please. Constant cleaning and sanitizing going on felt very safe. Didn't like having to wear a mask but only a minor inconvenience. Great ports, great weather,great time. Hopefully my luggage will be found in time for my next cruise

Embarkation

Took NCL transfer from airport to ship. We were met by an NCL rep who asked us to tag our bags and wait for a few more minutes before boarding our bus. Made a stop at an Athens hotel where we were tested for covid. Then we boarded a different bus to the terminal. Check in fast and easy, veryfew people checking in. During the process my luggage disappeared and has not been seen since.

Ship experiences

Ship was not crowded,no lines at the buffet,mdr or even the coffee bar. With no seating at the bars at times there was a short wait for drinks. Food was cruise standard,varied and tasty at all the venues.

Cagney's Steakhouse

Excellent beef.Had a porterhouse that ruined me. Excellent sides,my au gratin potatoes I particularly liked. Attentive wait staff kept the wine glasses filled and the food coming.

Always something going on. At times too few people

Everyone very eager to please.Cabin steward was very helpful getting my laundry done. Customer service desk helped me as best they could when my luggage disappeared and were courteous in telling me I was s.o.l

Spotless,everytime I went to WC had to go past a cleaning person. Washy,washy,happy, happy

Rear balcony,great views, hot outside with no breeze. A little noisy from wake

Ports of call

Mykonos, Greece

Tender port, the tender was a quick ride,maybe 10 minutes to the centre of town. Well organized. A picturesque town,all whitewash and cafes. Beach excursion. Uncrowded bus took us about 20 minutes to a well serviced beach. Pebble beach,10euro for 2 padded lounges and umbrella. Greek beer( alpha) 4 euro a bottle. Got us back to port in plenty of time for a walkabout and time in a cafe.

Santorini, Greece

Beautiful sail in,outstanding. The ship entered the caldera and sailed past villages that dotted the jagged cliffs and anchored below the main town where you could see the cable car and the mule track. The tenders took you to the cable car or, for excursions ,the new port where buses and taxis waited. We took a beach excursion to perissa beach. Black sand beach,padded lounges were 10 euro,warm clear water. We had thought we would have more time back in Fira before we caught the tender but only a half hour. Could have left the beach an hour and a half sooner, would have been perfect amount of time for the beach and cafe hopping in Fira. Beautiful sunset tender ride back to ship.

Corfu, Greece

The ship docked just outside of town. Access to taxis and buses at the port just outside security point. We took the Beach excursion to Elea resort in Dassia. Our tour guide pointed out that this is the same beach where club med was founded. Excursion included chairs and umbrella and a free non alcoholic drink. The iced coffee was great. Lots of beach activities, pebble beach. Clear calm water,lots of fishes. From the beach you could see the ship far away and Albania across the sea. Only downside was the bus returned just a little too late to explore the town

Katakolon (Olympia), Greece

Ship docked right in town. Uncrowded bus to uncrowded beach. Arrived early but the heat built up quickly making a good beach day. Nice sand beach, clear water. Nice little beach town about half hour from port. Arrived back at port with lots of time to shop, snack relax with a few beers and iced coffees.Katakalon is a nice tourist town,basically 3 streets 3 blocks of shops and cafes

Rhodes, Greece

No excursion, walking distance to lots of boat cruises and historical sights. We walked thru the old walled part of the city to the newer part and shopped. Had time to return to the ship,change clothes and walk to the city beach. We got some chairs and an umbrella at the casino resort had beers and swam. Beautiful clear water,pebble beach with a diving platform. Had a great afternoon returned to the ship and got ready for dinner.

Iraklion (Heraklion), Crete

No excursion, we taxied into town and walked back. You have to take a shuttle to and from the pier to the port entrance then a 20 minute walk to the pedestrian area of the city. Very pretty area downtown lots of shaded cafes and restaurants. Walked along the seaside for a while until it became little run down then turned back toward the city walls. We were still tired from the day before and I had no fresh clothes but we made the best of it. 4 stars because of proximity to historical sights and friendliness of the locals plus fair prices in cafe for drinks and snacks.

Piraeus (Athens), Greece

Disembarkation

Smooth as silk, carried luggage to awaiting bus and zoom to the airport for a 10am flight.

Traveler Photos

Pedestrian area Port area 2 columns marking where the colossus stood,10 minutes from ship