First Cruise

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review to Caribbean - Eastern

Contributor Level: Third Mate

7 Night Eastern Caribbean (Miami Roundtrip)
Sail Date: August 01, 2015
Ship: Norwegian Getaway

The cruise was a nice way to take a first vacation. You could just book it and go. The ship was huge and had a lot of entertainment on board, the downside was the limited pool size but there were good water slides. I recommend all of the game shows in the Atrium - lots of fun - more adult friendly than PG rated.

The food was amazing at the main dining rooms - the salmon tartar and the chocolate volcano cake are a must! I was more than satisfied with going to the main dining rooms. We went to a specialty restaurant one night - Moderno - but I was not a fan - probably because I am not a fan of meat and this was a Brazilian Grill type place.

There was a good list of excursions that summarized the main attractions and it was helpful even if you were going to do your own thing. Also the daily newsletters were very nice. The downside was the short duration of some of the excursions.

If you are thinking about it you should try it out.

Try the salmon tartar and the chocolate volcano cake!

Go to the game shows and poolside activities.

The Illusinarium was worth it.
The Legally Blonde Musical was fun.

They tidy your room multiple times a day.
The restaurant staff was great.

Very clean - was impressed.

The rooms were cozy and had enough storage - we were in the most basic inside stateroom. The ones at the front of the ship had more motion but it was fine for us and even soothing at night.
We taxied to two beaches - Coki and Magen's Bay. Cabs were very easy to get and about 9$ per person. I don't think a tour was necessary for this place. Magen's Bay was the better beach I would say.
The baths and caves on Virgin Gorda Island were amazing BUT the excursion wasn't nearly long enough. It would be hard to book this one independently since there is a 40 min ferry ride and a 10 min bus ride and the ship had to wait for this excursion for about an hour - the benefit of booking though the ship.
We went snorkeling which was good but not long enough. I have been there before and recommend the beaches.